Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get some leg protection after I took a spill last week and got a nasty bruise on my knee and some smaller ones on my leg after I hit some leaves. I'm trying to decide between a minimal knee pad like a 661 veggie wrap or a full leg protection like the roach/race face freeride leg armor. Any suggestions for me. I'm only doing small drops of 3-4 feet. thanks for your help

Kevin

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
clarification

Rallius said:
I'm looking to get some leg protection after I took a spill last week and got a nasty bruise on my knee and some smaller ones on my leg after I hit some leaves. I'm trying to decide between a minimal knee pad like a 661 veggie wrap or a full leg protection like the roach/race face freeride leg armor. Any suggestions for me. I'm only doing small drops of 3-4 feet. thanks for your help

Kevin

I guess what I'm asking is what do you use / recommend for my level of riding for leg protection?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
well. I recomend getting some kind of hard armor. I rock the roach rally DH but almost anything like it will work. Look at dianese, roach, troy lee, rockgrdn, fox. I wouldn't go for padding stuff because you will just want something else if you start progressing and a lot of stuff like the dianese are more comfortable in the first place.

·
Registered
121 Posts
roach fr

or you could get the fr instead of the dh they have a little less with an open back for slightly less aggressive riding. i have them and love them don't move around you hardly notice your wearing them and they provide great protection.

·
yeah, uh............bikes
2,712 Posts
I finally started using my Fox North Shore knee/shin guards over the summer on some small stuff. The felt pretty stable on my knees once I figured out how to do the velcro straps set up. They didn't move around much when pedaling or "hike a bike"ing either.

If you're prone to "pedal bites" I would definately suggest the the full wrap around style.

·
Registered
297 Posts
definitely the fox launches they dont move at all but theyre pretty stiff when u 1st get them

·
Registered
9,319 Posts
If you arn't looking for all out DH protection look into the Dainese Knee Pro's - super comfortable , great fit, pedalling can be done all day. I have a set of Fox Launch's for DH but they rub my knee caps raw.

·
Faster the Better!
187 Posts
keen said:
If you arn't looking for all out DH protection look into the Dainese Knee Pro's - super comfortable , great fit, pedalling can be done all day. I have a set of Fox Launch's for DH but they rub my knee caps raw.

There is a product called Body Glide that will Totally take care of this problem. Mine Rub my Knees also but Body Glide Totally took care of the problem

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've been looking at the full knee/shin guards. Is it me or does the knee part of the full armor fit a lot differently then just knee pads.. specifically above the knee.. I hope I explained myself clearly.

Do the pads break in much?

Probably going with the race face model.

Thanks for all the advie so far.

Check out Lee's answer to my question
http://www.leelikesbikes.com/choosing-knee-guards.html

Kevin

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Lee said prety much the same thing every one else in suggesting. I saw your post on his sight last week.
The knee/shin guards do fit different & yes they break in & get warm & cozzy. Best thing to do is go to your local shop & try them on just for the feel, then you can order whatever you want. Be aware they all fit different thats why everyone has a personal oppinion. Pads that X across the back of knee rub ya raw just like the elbows do.

·
Registered
834 Posts
boys veggies are the only way to go. i had hard shin pads and when i did a drop my feet slipped off and the back of my legs got cut up like shat. you could pretty much match up all the pins on the pedal to an inch long cut on my calf. then i got veggies, cause they protect the back and the front.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Amazing Larry104 said:
boys veggies are the only way to go. i had hard shin pads and when i did a drop my feet slipped off and the back of my legs got cut up like shat. you could pretty much match up all the pins on the pedal to an inch long cut on my calf. then i got veggies, cause they protect the back and the front.
I gotta second a look at the new Rockgardn's. Last year I said I had a feeling Rockgardn was gonna come out strong in 06 and it looks like they did some serious R & D for this years line. The new Flak Jacket and LZ's look sweet. Their gear is built rugged as hell but the 05 LZ's fit like crap. The new design looks way more flexible...I'd give 'em a look.

Or you could take the safe bet and order some Rally DH's.

·
Road/XC/Freeride
376 Posts
I in your position a lil bit ago...

I ended up going for Race Face / Roach FR Knee / Shin Guards. Really nice from what I could tell... I got them in the wrong size so I've waiting to be sent some bigger ones... the I can really have a blast with them!

From what I could tell, definately worth looking into (whether the FR or DH ones) adn worth the extra cash!

G

·
i just picked up a set of the new Specialized knee/shins today. they are super nice. due to softer materials (the kevlar is very flexible) they fit my legs better.

i can't give any feedback on the performance yet, but after trying roach and TLD and several others, these are by far the most comfortable i have found.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts