Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure some of it is due to the fact that I'm out of shape, but after the last few rides I've been getting sharp pains around my shin (above the ankle). If I remember high school science correctly muscles will produce lactic acid when they are used more than they are acustomed to. In the very beginning when I started to ride again, my knees would also bother me about halfway into a ride and for an hour after I stopped. I increased the height of my seat and my knee has been reduced dramatically so its a non-issue now. Unfortunately I can't say the same about the shin pain. I only ride 2-3 times per week and mostly over the weekend since I don't get home from work till 6:30-7:00.

I guess my question can be summed up in one sentence. Is the pain in my shin caused by lactic acid or the geometry of the bike (a la positioning of whatever)? ;)

·
I wear two thongs
1,675 Posts
Are you using clipless pedals? I had similar problems where the top of my ankle would hurt due to poor cleat placement. I adjusted the cleats and it made for a much more comfortable ride.

·
Registered
18,613 Posts
kevin6s said:
I'm sure some of it is due to the fact that I'm out of shape, but after the last few rides I've been getting sharp pains around my shin (above the ankle). If I remember high school science correctly muscles will produce lactic acid when they are used more than they are acustomed to. In the very beginning when I started to ride again, my knees would also bother me about halfway into a ride and for an hour after I stopped. I increased the height of my seat and my knee has been reduced dramatically so its a non-issue now. Unfortunately I can't say the same about the shin pain. I only ride 2-3 times per week and mostly over the weekend since I don't get home from work till 6:30-7:00.

I guess my question can be summed up in one sentence. Is the pain in my shin caused by lactic acid or the geometry of the bike (a la positioning of whatever)? ;)
Sharp, focal pain doesn't sound like lactic acid pain to me.

·
Registered
18,613 Posts
amorphous said:
yulp, you should. Stretch all that **** out, you'd be suprised what it might cure. I takes 10 minutes a day.

aaron
Whoa there. Stretching doesn't make up for bad positioning. He needs to figure out his bike position first.

·
icanseeformiles(andmiles)
241 Posts
amorphous said:
excellent point, grasshopper!:cool:

get your cleat position dialed in, seat height cool, etc......then stretch. On your days off too, it's a good idea.

å
He already told you he's using platforms! I've got platform pedals, too, and I've never been able to locate those dmn cleats!!!

But, if you're using sneakers when you ride, try using a shoe with a stiffer sole.

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
His problem doesn"t sound like its got much to do with bike fit. It may be more technique then anything else. I'm thinking learn to ride with your toes pointed slightly downwards (are they currently pointing up??), and this may mean that you need to raise your seat a little more.

If that fails - see a doctor as it could be something like shin splints (??) or to do with bad ankle position and such....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.