Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I will be starting intervals in a couple weeks for the upcoming season, and I expect some soreness. How helpful is pro massage for the legs? I can get a sports massage for $35 for 30 minutes, which seems like a good deal. Will I notice a big difference with a massage? Is once a week for the first few weeks of intervals enough to help?

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Pro's get massaged after almost every ride.

How many can you afford?

How hard are you really training?

Could the money be spent better elsewhere?

Do you stretch? Do you self massage ? ( No ...not THAT self massage!!!)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the mayor said:
Pro's get massaged after almost every ride.
I am NOT a pro. I do want to have a good, improved season though.

the mayor said:
How many can you afford?
Twice a month, maybe 3.

the mayor said:
How hard are you really training?
Starting January 15, really hard.

the mayor said:
Could the money be spent better elsewhere?
I quit going to strip clubs :nono: quite a while ago, so no.:D But I guess you were talking about equipment. As far as that goes, I am pretty well set.

the mayor said:
Do you stretch? Do you self massage ? ( No ...not THAT self massage!!!)
I stretch, but not as much as some. Honestly, I am not a big believer in stretching. I do self massage, but I get the feeling that I can't do nearly the job that a pro can. And my wife is lazy in the massage department.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
It does help...how much varies from person to person...and how good the therapist is.

$35 per 1/2 hour is a little steep...but if they're good. Check around, you might find a cyclist specific MT that has better rates.

Dollar wise...it always makes me scratch my head when someone drops bucks on coaches, training plans, supplements, etc....but shows up at races with smoked tires and a skipping drive train.

Try it and see what happens...you'll know how often you want/need it.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Not for nothing, but you can self massage for pretty much free. If you aren't already, to be honest (coming from an athlete perspective) a coach is a better value and will see a much more significant improvement in your training than massage. For the price of 2-3 massages you can easily afford a coach. For $20-30 you can buy the stick and massage yourself.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Message is nice but not needed. I go once a month to a chiropractor who includes massage in the treatment, this makes it affordable as it is covered on my medical insurance. While it does help the legs refresh I can self massage the legs pretty well, I find the professional massage helps more with the shoulders/neck and low back which are pretty critically to comfortable and successful riding as well.

·
aka RossC
936 Posts
Zipp0 said:
I stretch, but not as much as some. Honestly, I am not a big believer in stretching. I do self massage, but I get the feeling that I can't do nearly the job that a pro can. And my wife is lazy in the massage department.
I was training really hard for some multisport events several months ago and ultimately picked up ITB problems. I saw a physio and also started some remedial massage. They both commented on how ridiculously tight the muscles in my legs were which was contributing to injury.... the base cause - inadequate stretching.

During the remedial massage sessions, I was in so much pain I thought I was going to throw up and would walk out in a lather of sweat and be sore for days. The masseur was barely touching me, i had just worked the muscles really hard and they had all shortened up like skinny jeans in the washing machine.

From the injury and the horrendous massage sessions I now advocate stretching (I used to totally shun it). Lots of it. It probably won't help your performance per se, however staying injury free while training hard does help your performance. If you have an excellent stretching routine, then you can reduce the frequency of your massage requirements.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I also find massage to be a great training aid. With a benefit plan, it's not even that expensive. But the biggest issue is TIME! I found going even for a 30 min massage to eat up at least 2 hours of the day when you include driving/waiting time. I think these same 2 hours can be used at home to do foam rolling/PNF stretching to obtain similar (if not better) benefits..

·
Registered
175 Posts
Self massage is easy with the right tools. A cheap and good one is called Theracane. It gives you lots of leverage. You should get a few professional sports massages first just to learn.

http://www.bodyworkmall.com/p-60394.aspx?source=google&s_kwcid=theracane|1710715236&gclid=CLiove726ZcCFQrFGgodShAGCw

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
If you feel that it is sufficient to get a leg massage only (as opposed to full body), then the stick can be used quite efficiently. I do it after almost every workout and it does improve recovery and almost eliminates any soreness.

·
128 Posts
Another option that I have been researching is see if there are any massotherapy schools in your area. I recently was suggested one in my area. The price seems right $25 for an hour massage. The only question would be quality but they are fresh out of classes and I'm sure the teachers wouldn't let a bad student do a massage on a real person. I'll report back after I have mine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.