Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question regarding leg muscle conditioning in the off-season. I spend a lot of time on the elliptical machine at the gym for cardio and toning of the muscles. It seems like the elliptical works many muscles which are used on the bike. I am curious, however, what people use to work the muscles that are used while pulling up on the pedal during the upstroke (not sure what these muscles are called, sorry). I just feel like these are the only muscles that don't get used much on the elliptical. Does anyone have any suggestions for strengthening these muscles??

Oh, I travel for work weekly so most of my workout time is in hotel gyms. Therefore, riding my bike on an indoor trainer won't really be possible for me.

Thanks for any help! Good day!

·
Registered
153 Posts
You need to train your muscles in a different planes then what you pedal in. Example, pedeling, running, elliptical, etc are all in the sagital plane. My point is get moving in the transverse plane as well. Do hip dominant exercises and knee dominant exercises. My athletes work on a linear and lateral day split. If they have a 2 day training week our typical week is Day 1 Linear: Lunges, Single leg squats, Front squats (pick one), bridge with leg curls on a slideboard, trx straps. Day 2 lateral: Lateral lunges w/dumbells or kettlebells, Romanian Deadlifts (single leg).
Your hip flexors are most likely strong (without a proper eval. assuming), I would focus on glute strength.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I looked up the exercises and will definitely give them a shot. Tried to do a few of those squats without weights in the living room, and I certainly need to build up to them. I'm surprised with the amount of riding I've done they are so difficult. Again, thanks for the info, I will be working on these.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it pretty typical to not be able to do a full single leg squat even without weight? I can't get much further than half way down. They are tough and making me feel like a wimp, lol.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sequence like this: lunges to rear foot elevated split squat to 1 legged squats. On the one legged squats work down to tapping your butt on a bench. Then work on getting your working quad parallel to the floor.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
cattledog04 said:
You need to train your muscles in a different planes then what you pedal in. Example, pedeling, running, elliptical, etc are all in the sagital plane. My point is get moving in the transverse plane as well. Do hip dominant exercises and knee dominant exercises. My athletes work on a linear and lateral day split. If they have a 2 day training week our typical week is Day 1 Linear: Lunges, Single leg squats, Front squats (pick one), bridge with leg curls on a slideboard, trx straps. Day 2 lateral: Lateral lunges w/dumbells or kettlebells, Romanian Deadlifts (single leg).
Your hip flexors are most likely strong (without a proper eval. assuming), I would focus on glute strength.
I took a look at your website. Do you have online workout guides for those of us who live many, many miles away?

I'm currently working on increasing my core strength, which unfortunately is not sufficient for the demands of hard racing right now and resulting in some nagging injuries.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Gatorback said:
I took a look at your website. Do you have online workout guides for those of us who live many, many miles away?

I'm currently working on increasing my core strength, which unfortunately is not sufficient for the demands of hard racing right now and resulting in some nagging injuries.
My website does have online nutrition and workout guides, but truthfully the nutritionals are good. I haven't spent the time to build the workouts to my standards, so they are the basics. I would be happy to consult with you privetely and work something out. Call or email me if you would like. The info is on my site. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
cattledog04 said:
You need to train your muscles in a different planes then what you pedal in.
Interesting point there. I've always lifted for cycling in the "cycling" plane. Probably because that's what Friel suggest in his book.

For the past 2 months I've been doing my local cross fit, and the instructor is always yelling at me ("Legs wider!!"), just because I got so used to the coplanar cycling lifting form for various lifts.

It'll be interesting to see how this improves me as a cyclist. But there is absolutely no question, that it has improved me as a general athlete and to a functionally stronger and healthier person. Which is some ways, to me, is more important.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Poncharelli said:
Interesting point there. I've always lifted for cycling in the "cycling" plane. Probably because that's what Friel suggest in his book.

For the past 2 months I've been doing my local cross fit, and the instructor is always yelling at me ("Legs wider!!"), just because I got so used to the coplanar cycling lifting form for various lifts.

It'll be interesting to see how this improves me as a cyclist. But there is absolutely no question, that it has improved me as a general athlete and to a functionally stronger and healthier person. Which is some ways, to me, is more important.
What gets forgotten is injury prevention. The goal is to work the body in such a way that it stays in balance. Unless it is trauma from crashing, etc. Almost all other injuries are from imbalances.

·
Registered
748 Posts
2fst4u said:
Unilateral exercises like the 1 leg squats are the BOMB. They really help if you have any strength discrepancy (common) on your non dominant leg.
I am interested in adding this to my routine, especially later when I am doing maintenance at home.

Now, my understanding is with regular squats, you are not supposed to go lower than 90 degrees at the knee.

When I see one legged squats online, people are dropping their butt all the way to their calf. is this "safe" or recommended? Would dropping to a bench be more suitable for our application?

·
Registered
153 Posts
jonw9 said:
I am interested in adding this to my routine, especially later when I am doing maintenance at home.

Now, my understanding is with regular squats, you are not supposed to go lower than 90 degrees at the knee.

When I see one legged squats online, people are dropping their butt all the way to their calf. is this "safe" or recommended? Would dropping to a bench be more suitable for our application?
Actually, you should go below 90 degrees. It's a myth about the 90 thing. Look at any infant and their progression to walking. Watch them play with toys on the floor...they are in a complete deep squat with no problems. In reality there is the most pressure/strain on the knee and patella and AT 90 degrees.

·
Schwizzle
87 Posts
Barbell squats and deadlifts will def make you strong like a bull and work many muscles throughout the body.
Just make sure you warm up on the bike for 5 minutes and stretch prior to lifting otherwise you can kill your knees.

Also for these power lifts form is essetial so look for some youtube videos if you are unsure how to do them properly.

bodybuilding.com is a great resource with 100's of leg workouts and pictures of each exercise....... and it's not just for bodybuilders

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.