Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 55 and have been riding 2+ times per week for about 1.5 yrs. Been riding more lately and after some rides, having hamstring and thigh muscle cramps in the evening, when I finally get relaxed for while. Try to stay hydrated on trail but only take water. Rides usually 1.5 hours. Have had less symptoms if drink sports drink on way home. Worse if I drink a few beers in evening after riding. I take a fair amount of vitamins.

What is going on here? am I getting dehydrated, or is there a lack of potassium or something? anybody else had this problem and what did you do to overcome it?

·
Registered
407 Posts
There are plenty of threads on this - but you'll find that you need sodium/electrolytes - not just water. I have the same issue and use endurolytes by hammer nutrition and they help massively in addition to taking down gatorade/cytomax or other electrolyte hydration during and after riding.

Good Luck - I know how much cramps suck!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just searched Thread

i searched thread and found out quite a lot. Thanks.

kindacreeky said:
I am 55 and have been riding 2+ times per week for about 1.5 yrs. Been riding more lately and after some rides, having hamstring and thigh muscle cramps in the evening, when I finally get relaxed for while. Try to stay hydrated on trail but only take water. Rides usually 1.5 hours. Have had less symptoms if drink sports drink on way home. Worse if I drink a few beers in evening after riding. I take a fair amount of vitamins.

What is going on here? am I getting dehydrated, or is there a lack of potassium or something? anybody else had this problem and what did you do to overcome it?

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
No magic pill

If you are lucky one of the magic cures that you read about will work for you
see:
http://www.roadbikerider.com/cramps.htm

Pickle juice
Tums
Salt tablets
Tonic Water (Quinine)
Banannas
Multivitamin
Endurolytes
Cramp stop
Eye of Newt
etc....

I tested endurolytes for months in training and cramped in a race. I've tried eating tons of salty foods prior to an event, still cramped. I want to try that magic cramp stop spray that you are supposed to spray under your tounge when you feel a cramp coming on. Yeah right and spin around 3 times and face east and say abracadabra while doing it.

I always cramp in a race. Whether it is cold or hot. Never cramp in training. Bottom line is that I'm racing at a much higher intensity than training, and it is the volume of high intensity effort seen in a race that I'm not ready for.

I asked my coach hoping for some magic pill and basically got the following advice:
-salt my food
-take a multivitamin/mineral supplement
-hydrate and try Glycerol to help with hydration (test in training first)
-make my hard mtb ride as hard as a race.

Good luck. My last race I had both legs completely locked straight on the trail. The only respite was squatting down. I thought I was going to be like that till Search and Rescue came and got me.

·
Klein sits on shelf now..
173 Posts
ashwinearl said:
If you are lucky one of the magic cures that you read about will work for you
see:
http://www.roadbikerider.com/cramps.htm

Pickle juice
Tums
Salt tablets
Tonic Water (Quinine)
Banannas
Multivitamin
Endurolytes
Cramp stop
Eye of Newt
etc....
I've tried the pickle juice this with some success. I think the rumor is a tablespoon or two of pickle juice the night before keeps the cramps away. It's soo good I just drink it right out of the jar.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.