Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Hoping this is documented somewhere. I have a 2015 Scalpel 2015 and came across a Carbon 2.0 lefty but have subsequently found that the head tube length is to small for the frame (Distance between brackets)

Hoping to establish which Cannondale frame the carbon lefty fork is compatible with.

Thanks

·
Ridin' dirty!
2,089 Posts
Clamp spacing depends on which size frame it came from. I suspect a size S cannondale frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Hi All,

Hoping this is documented somewhere. I have a 2015 Scalpel 2015 and came across a Carbon 2.0 lefty but have subsequently found that the head tube length is to small for the frame (Distance between brackets)

Hoping to establish which Cannondale frame the carbon lefty fork is compatible with.

Thanks

View attachment 1917449

thats for a Medium frame

·
Registered
1,771 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Brad is correct. Not sure why the erroneous information was perpetuated into those documents. Below are the true numbers of the 2.0 clamp spacing and the Scalpel Geo which shows the head tube lengths.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
For a medium frame the head tube is 110mm long. Then the bearing seal goes on top of the bearing. It's 3mm thick. The clamp spacing is therefore 112.8mm to provide the correct amount of preload on the bearing via the seal inner ring. Hence the extra few mm of length between clamps.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Brad is correct. Not sure why the erroneous information was perpetuated into those documents. Below are the true numbers of the 2.0 clamp spacing and the Scalpel Geo which shows the head tube lengths.
@trauma-md / @Brad: Touché! I went out and measured my Size L 2017 Scalpel Alloy and it's 125mm which matches the XL Lefty measurements in my previous links....

Reactions: Brad

·
Registered
1,432 Posts

View attachment 1917828 View attachment 1917829
This chart is completely wrong.
The 2013 to 2016 models had a headtube length of 122mm across the size range.
The Ai 2017 through 2020 models had head tube length of 97 mm in size small, 110 in size medium and 122 for sizes large and xlarge is 134 mm

·
Registered
776 Posts
This chart is completely wrong.
The 2013 to 2016 models had a headtube length of 122mm across the size range.
The Ai 2017 through 2020 models had head tube length of 97 mm in size small, 110 in size medium and 122 for sizes large and xlarge is 134 mm

That is the Ai Scalpel chart. Shows the consistency of which size frame the 2.0 that the OP has will indeed fit....as you had correctly identified as MED.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks All,

My fears are true. My carbon Lefty shock is for a Medium and will not fit the large frame.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just as a follow on question,

Is it worthwhile to see if I can get a replacement upper and swop out internals or just sell shock and find the right size if possible ?

Thoughts and comments ?

·
Ridin' dirty!
2,089 Posts
Just as a follow on question,

Is it worthwhile to see if I can get a replacement upper and swop out internals or just sell shock and find the right size if possible ?

Thoughts and comments ?
Just get an Ocho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Brad

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I WISH

Is there any way to adjust the gap on the carbon lefty or is it bonded permanently ?

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
A new chassis is possible. Your lbs can order from the distributor Omnico in RSA.

The clamps cannot be moved. They're bonded permanently. Even for the alloy versions this isn't possible since 2004

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A new chassis is possible. Your lbs can order from the distributor Omnico in RSA.

The clamps cannot be moved. They're bonded permanently. Even for the alloy versions this isn't possible since 2004
Thanks Brad

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Thanks Brad

You may want to be sitting down with your seat belt clipped in when you hear the price of the Upper Lefty 2.0 chassis....
I'd say you're better off buying a 2.0 that will fit your bike and sell the one you have.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts