Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
mtbr member
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
" Search" found nothing fruitful so...
I dropped my Prophet 800 off at a reputable and knowledgeable lbs Sunday to have some things ordered and tuned. I also told them to put the next stiffer spring in my lefty. I have medium w/ red spring in TPC. Anyway- What is a reasonable price I can expect to pay for this service alone? I neglected to ask. I told them I thought the spring was around 30 dollars or so. This is the first time using this place and wanted to double check. Also after reading several related posts I am re-thinking my decision. I am about 6' and 180 and somewhat aggressive rider and to me the lefty seems a tad too plush. I had read elsewhere of 200lb+ riders being happy w/ the red spring.???

·
a.k.a.-Cranial Disharmony
238 Posts
I think I paid $35 - 40 for the same thing two weeks ago. Had the red - went to black on a large frame.
I'm 6' - 205 (and dropping) but the black is way better for me. I was advised here by MendonCycle and it turned out to be great.

·
Registered
66 Posts
spring change

I too upgraded my spring. I went from RED in my Prophet 600 (med) to Brown. I weigh over 200lbs....210 (without gear) then.....about 205 (without gear) now.....and I see a big difference....

I used to ride the jekyll with the standard large spring and that always felt too plush....but it was my first full suspension rig so I didn't know better.

Spring ran me $30 and labor was $9......but then again.....I have good relationship with mechanic....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Being completly new to all this, can someone tell me what the spring choices are and how do I get a different one, besides going through my LBS (I would like to do my own work, if possible) Im a 230ish lb. semi-aggressive rookie.

Thanks for the help,
Steve

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
scsTiTan said:
Being completly new to all this, can someone tell me what the spring choices are and how do I get a different one, besides going through my LBS (I would like to do my own work, if possible) Im a 230ish lb. semi-aggressive rookie.

Thanks for the help,
Steve
You'll need to order the spring through your LBS, the weight range can be found on page 17 and the instructions to change it are on page 24 of this document.

·
Registered
26 Posts
At the other end of the weight range...

I have just changed the spring in my Lefty from a medium (stock) to a soft. I am on the borderline between the two spring rates according to the Cannondale chart, but I didn't htink I was getting full travel out of my Lefty so I had the LBS change it when the bike went back for its first service.

However the fork now seems *way* too soft - it dives a lot.

Questions - has anyone else done this and what did they think? Will I get used to the soft fork? Can anything be done to stiffen it up a bit (playing with preload etc)? I don't want to lose the small bump sensitivity (I have bad wrists) but I would like to stop the fork blowing through its travel.
Ta!

·
Registered
293 Posts
There is a preload adjustment, but you need to get under the top cap to access it (use Park BBT9 or Shimano integrated bottom bracket tool I think). I just had the black spring put in (200lbs), and need to tighten it up a bit. The shop thought the rown spring would be overkill since I am not doing any big drops, we'll see. Extra firm springs seem to have a rep as being stiff as a board, so I guess its the right call between the two choices.

·
mtbr member
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What did the install cost you ???
And thanks I did not know of the adjustment beyond " finger turns" on the preload.
I wanted the frt susp to serve the purpose of dampening big equal ground contact, not neccessarily small bumps, Although it is nice keeping positive contact a majority of the time.

·
Registered
266 Posts
scsTiTan said:

Thanks for the help,
Steve
I weigh 200# w/gear and have last years 130mm Lefty Max. A blue (med) Titanium spring came standard in mine. I first ordered the next step up, red (firm) for $80.00 and then finally settled on the brown (x-firm) for $30.00 (Cannondale doesn't offer an x-firm spring in anything but STEEL. That accounts for the price difference.)

230lbs and semi aggressive = brown x-firm spring for sure. ;)

Note: It appears Cannondale has added a black (x-firm) spring for the '05 Lefty Max 140mm. The brown is now listed as xx-firm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.