Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi!
I have a 2006 Scalpel in Team colors and I just went to my LBS today to service my Scalpel: the noise in rear suspension (fixed!) and the Lefty travel.
My Lefty only had like 9 cm between the tire and the headtube - so where is the 110 mm travel with Lefty Speed? :rolleyes: Then my mechanic reset the Lefty and told me, there is a 88+ (www.eighty-aid.com) tuning inside. :eek: How could this be? Then he checked the catalouge and it's true (he said, I didn't see it): the Scalpel 1000 Team Rep. has tuned 88+ Lefty with less travel.

anyone else with same bike?
pictures are bad, cause my missis took the camera to holiday...

Attachments

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yup. I got the same set up on my Scalpel 1000. I bought it in December 2005. I could tell just by looking at the boot it wasn't 110mm. Heck, I don't really care though. It works very well just as is. I don't see why I would even need more travel.

·
fella
272 Posts
I have the same thing with my Carbon Lefty (Scalpel 2000, year 2005). I thought it was a bug, not a feature, but had no time to take it to the LBS.
Damn, 110 mm would be much nicer for marathons and endurance races.:(

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hmm. The Lefty DLR2 on my 2005 Scalpel 1000 (not a team colour though) is the same, only about 9cm of space between tyre and head tube.

I thought I had the worst case of bearing migration known to mankind.. but doing the top-cap-off, split-ring-off, pushing the fork out manually thing does nothing. Maybe it's been travel reduced. I'm in Australia though.. I thought eighty-aid was a Europe-only thing. I'll have to check up with the LBS guy who last serviced my Lefty.

Gotta ask though, why would they reduce the travel of a Lefty to 80mm, instead of going with a Fatty shock? It'd be lighter, less stuffing about with wheel choice, etc..

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HELP!
distance on my Lefty is now 84mm :eek:
my local C distributor says it's normal :madman: I just need to bring it to service every few rides.
wtf? it's not normal. I bought Left because it WORKS (or it shoud work)! there must be something wrong with my fork.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
88+ tuning

I have a RUSH 1000 '06. Before I sent the lefty DLR2 to the 88+ there was less than 9cm between the tire and the headtube. Now, after the 88+ tuning, there are more than 12cm with all the 11cm of travel. It's strange, isn't it?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just got reply from 88+, from Larry:
"I can assure you there is no "88+ kit" in these forks that reduce travel. Even the Cannondale-Vredestein team is using full travel."

so there must be an error in the fork. it should have full travel, 110mm.
hope to solve the problem soon - I'm taking it to my dealer today.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just got my Lefty back from the shop, where they had the local Cannondale rep take a look at it.

What was happening with mine is that air was escaping past the air chamber, pushing the shock 'down' as well as 'up', resulting in reduced effective travel. Apparently my shock had a single-seal piston which the rep said they have had a bit of trouble with. They replaced it with a new double-seal version which should be a lot more reliable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.