Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just downloaded the 40 page pdf solely for my lefty.:eek: When I raced bmx, I would of course do everything myself. Building and trueing my wheels, etc. But shocks and gears are a new world for me. I got about half way through this manual before blood started dripping out of my lefty ear. My question is about servicing my lefty....does the manual make it seem a lot more challenging than it is? Or is it more hassle than it's worth(take it to the shop)?

I just bought this 05 Prophet 600 off classifieds. I know I need a stiffer spring...and I'm sure it's time to "fully service" everything.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,470 Posts
OB1 said:
I just downloaded the 40 page pdf solely for my lefty.:eek: When I raced bmx, I would of course do everything myself. Building and trueing my wheels, etc. But shocks and gears are a new world for me. I got about half way through this manual before blood started dripping out of my lefty ear. My question is about servicing my lefty....does the manual make it seem a lot more challenging than it is? Or is it more hassle than it's worth(take it to the shop)?

I just bought this 05 Prophet 600 off classifieds. I know I need a stiffer spring...and I'm sure it's time to "fully service" everything.
Most shops will just send it in to Cannondale, as there are few techs who have the training, or desire, to do them. Not cause they are difficult, but because shops pay crap wages, and most folks don't stick around long enough to learn how to do them well. I deal with them all the time, there are other shops that do them, so ask. If it goes to the factory, it may be weeks before you see it again. If you really want to do it yourself you can, but you best have a few hours of quiet time, and a patient demeanor for the first go around. If you decide to do it yourself, and need assistance, email me @ [email protected]

·
Registered
198 Posts
Being this is the first season as a Lefty owner I can say the manual makes it look harder then it is. Since I've owned my Lefty, I've had it open a couple of times to swap main springs adjust the preload, refresh the grease for the rollor bearings and clean the filter.

Pretty basic stuff. If you're willing to learn, have the right tools and take your time you should be fine.

Besides the local experts on the board are always awesome and very helpful.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Aww man. After Mendon's post, I'd think twice before letting some 16yr old skater at a shop fiddle with my lefty. And I'm DEFINETELY not waiting weeks for Cannondale to do it. So I suppose you're right prodigal. I gotta get the right tools and do it myself. That being said....here's where I start leaning on you Cannondale pros:D :

1. Is there a "perfect" tool kid for a Prophet 600?
2. What specialty tools "should" I get?
3. Where can I get a stiffer spring from?
4. Can I get valium without a perscription?

edit: you've got mail Mendon.:D

·
Registered
198 Posts
While there is no "perfect" tool kit. Some basics to work on your 'phet and Lefty are;

1) Metric allen key set or a "Y" shaped hex tool with a 6,5, & 4 mm hex on it. (For use pretty much everywhere on the bike.

For the Lefty - to get you started.
2) Shimano BB removal tool TL FC - 32 (For removal of the Lefty top cap.)
3) A good pair of wire cutter snips. (To carefully cut the boot zip ties)
4) 19 & 9 mm open ended wrenches.

For everything else.
4) Bicycle cable and housing cutting tool.
5) Crank puller.
6) BB removal tool (This depends on the type and manufacturer of your BB.)
7) Pedal wrench
8) Cassette lock ring removal tool.
9) Chain whip.
10) Big ass Crescent wrench. To fit to BB tool for Truvativ BB's and for the cassette lock ring tool.
11) Good quality small flat head screw driver. (derailluer high and low adjustments).

That's the basics. I find more then anything I use my allen keys and the flat headed screw driver more then anything for simple tuning or maintenance of the drive train.

I'm sure others will have more tool suggestions. But those should get you started.

S.

·
Registered
101 Posts
For and extra $20 add a green pin spanner, a Canondale castle tool and the bullet tool. And you can service the damper too. Good for oil changes every year, and maybe new seals while you are in there.

·
"Oldfart from Wayback"
1,683 Posts
Sometimes it better doing it yourself !

My P1000 is a month old and from the first day out of the shop it had an annoying tapping sound over every small bump that seemed to be coming from the top of the fork. I suspected bearing migration and opened my fork tonight for the first time. 10 sec. procedure and adjusted the bearings.

Didn't help a thing so I was curious about the rebound setting and found it totally screwed in tight. Backed it out the 8 clicks and things still weren't better, so I checked the SPV pressure ... 0 lbs. :mad:

The front fork was never set up !!! :mad: :mad: The rear Swinger 3-way was fine but the front was never set up ! I hope I didn't permanently damage anything in the last month, ~ 150 mi. of riding !! Pumped up the SPV, rest the rebound, played with a few other settings and it rides like a dream now !!! :D

Except for the hideous squeal coming from the Juicy 7's, I polished the pads, reset the calipers and it was fine for 1 ride. Now I'm back to the squeal from h # ll. I think I might try for a set of Cleansweeps, curtesy from Avid.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Depends on what problems they find, but I have not seen any repairs over 100$ unless the cartridge needed to be replaced. We try not to send shocks back at my shop but sometimes there just isn't any time to get into that stuff. It's pretty straightforward as long as you are a good wrench. Don't forget to let the air out before working on it, one of my (dumb) coworkers shot himself in the nose with his cartridge the other week- could have lost an eye!!!!

·
Super Moderator
3,266 Posts
frozin said:
Depends on what problems they find, but I have not seen any repairs over 100$ unless the cartridge needed to be replaced. We try not to send shocks back at my shop but sometimes there just isn't any time to get into that stuff. It's pretty straightforward as long as you are a good wrench. Don't forget to let the air out before working on it, one of my (dumb) coworkers shot himself in the nose with his cartridge the other week- could have lost an eye!!!!
How? His safety glasses should stop a cartridge..........;)

·
Registered
714 Posts
onbelaydave said:
A few seconds each, "polish/ rough up" WTD.

It didn't make any difference to the Juicy's.

I'm looking at the Cleansweeps .[/QUOTE
the juicy's squeek because your post mounts were not 'faced'. Basically the paint on the ends of the post mounts allow for a little wiggle room under hard breaking loads. A good lbs will have the tool to face your mounts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
OB1 said:
I'd think twice before letting some 16yr old skater at a shop fiddle with my lefty. And I'm DEFINETELY not waiting weeks for Cannondale to do it.
I'm in the same boat, plus the nearest CDale shop is an hour away from me. Nah, I'm going to maintain it myself, and have fun doing it. Heck, I won't let the dealership touch my Subaru either! Mendon's squaring me away with all the necessities ask we speak...

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,470 Posts
solarity said:
How much does Cannondale charge for a Lefty overhaul???
I want to say it's around $50 or $60, with a "rush fee" if you want quicker turnaround. FWIW, I charge $25, and generally turn it around in 24 hours, assuming all needed parts are in stock.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.