Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Rize w/the new PBR lefty carbon on the front end around August. A bit dissapointed. 1st the shrader was mangled in the bottom cap so it didnt hold any air. Replaced by C-dale. OK fine no biggie. 2nd Bearing migration happened almost every 2 hours of riding and frame cracked. Its easy enough to fix after a few times but I dont think it should. OK maybe a friday afternoon bike. New frame and fork sent in under 2 weeks. Bearing migration happening on new fork already after 6 hours. I love this bike as I live in New England and its a joy to beat up nasty singletrack on and definetly using it in next years EFTA seies as well as some Marathons. Has anyone heard of any of these problems or am I just going nuts??? Im running 110-115 psi of air in it which works out perfect for about 30mm of sag. Im hoping I dont have to go with a regular fork but the Magura Mantra 130 is looking nice right now... Any help would be helpful...

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,486 Posts
Sounds like a combination of things. Rider weight/riding style, vs. spring rate is a biggie. Too soft a setup is a common culprit. This leads to bearings that migrate quickly, as too little resistance is offered during bigger hits, which causes the bearings to stuff past the races. Try firmer. 6 hours isn't bad, is that to the point of topping out, or are you going home after each ride and measuring it, only to find some migration has occurred? Some folks get their panties in a twist over a bit of migration, truth be told, just ride it, you won't miss that 1/4 or 1/2 inch of travel for the next few hours.... If it's topping out in two hours after a full reset, your bearing preload is off, easily adjusted by a competent wrench. If it's just migrated a few mm's I wouldn't sweat it. Your first Lefty? Resetting is easy. You wouldn't stop biking cause you had to lube your chain, or air up your tires would you? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
176 Posts
thats a valid point, but lubing chains and pumping tires is an assumed task when you buy a bike. For the money that he shelled out for a C'dale Rize, there's no reason why he should have to settle for having a fork less 100%.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had the same problem with my lefty SL on my 2008 scalpel. I had 3 forks all suffering bearing immigration after first ride. After thirth fork I let my dealer and sponser send fork to 88+ for tuning and reparation, I ride xc and need my bike all the time so I didn't give cannondale a thirth change.

After eightyaid in belgium had tuned and repaired my fork. I haven't had any problems at all.

I also recommend to let every one who buys a new cannondale check there fork before riding. A lot of new forks(not all, can also be a bad batch) aren't lubed correct from fabrik and are damaged by rust after first wet ride.

Post some pictures when your bike is ok again, rize is a great bike.:)

·
16,486 Posts
luffy said:
no reason why he should have to settle for having a fork less 100%.
Until it's ascertained why it's happening, I always assume it's a tuning issue, versus bad fork. Most of the time, proper spring rate settles these issues. I also see a number of folks complaining about having to reset bearings. It's part of the fork, takes little time, and untill it's topping out, you won't notice you have any issue at all. If you go home and measure your fork after every ride, get all flustered cause it migrated, and take issue with having to do basic maintenance on the fork, you're thinking about it too much. Hence the tires and lube statement. Just ride, and be happy. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its about every 2 hr ride that Ill get 1-3mm of migration which is unacceptable. If I do a 12hr solo or a 100mile race Im not about to carry the top cap tool, a fork pump, and have to worry about dirt getting under the top cap. Thank you for your springrate tip, Im running 110 which is for a 195 pound rider, (Im 190 with gear). That gives me about 30mm of sag, which is recomended. Ill try a bit less sag, and a bit more rebound to offset the negative spring rate. Thanks for the help. Im a lefty novice but they are pretty simple to adjust. Im no novice to the wrench. Would you know anyone that could custom tune the shim stack or dampening device, etc inside the 2009 PBR?

~E

·
16,486 Posts
2 hr ride, I'll get 1-3mm of migration which is unacceptable. Would you know anyone that could custom tune the shim stack or dampening device, etc
A few thoughts, First off, 1 to 3 mm of migration in a two hour ride is fine, and I wouldn't sweat it in the least, though it sounds like you're going to anyway.:incazzato: You should know that migration occurs more quickly at first, then slows wayyyy down. So a 12 hour race might only net you a cm of travel loss. Tell me that matters to the point of time loss, discomfort and handling degradation, and I'll tell you a story about a young princess, and a pea under her matress :p ;)

As for rebound I wouldn't adjust it out of hand, you my not need to, for an extra 10 to 15 psi.

As for tuners, poke around here long enough, and I'm sure you'll run into a few. Can't swing a dead cat without hitting a few it seems :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Trust me the rebound on the PBR is a bit lacking anyhoo. Its either slow fast or somewhere in between. Let me know what you think of the 2-4CM loss in a ride... Trust me I love the fork, and this free help is awesome. Thank you I appreciate your time!!!

·
mnt bike laws of physics
2,763 Posts
I know where your'e coming fror Ebascombe. My PBR tops out after about 6 hours of riding and I put 180psi in mine. It did this and I sent it back to Cdale and it came back exactly the same. It rides so sweet the first ride and then the quality starts to go downhill pretty quick. the 3rd ride is bad and every ride after that is the same crap with constant topping out and bad tracking. It wouldn't be so bad but it takes a lot of effort to put in 180 psi every 2 rides and my pump is wearing out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Exactly. So pumping it up doesn't help... Our team is sponsored by Magura. I may be looking into the Manja 130. Ill take the reliability over weight... The manja is a super stiff fork as well. Should have an answer from the LBS tomorrow as what CDale proposes to do with my second fork... Thanks for posting...

·
mnt bike laws of physics
2,763 Posts
John at Cdale told me they would probably change the lower part that contains the spindle because it is probably out of tolerance and the thickest races were not enough. This is speculation since he cannot tell without knowing exactly what they did the first time.

I could not go to a regular fork after knowing how good it can be. I hope they fix it next time for good or I'm asking for a brand new one.

·
16,486 Posts
Trust me the rebound on the PBR is a bit lacking anyhoo. Its either slow fast or somewhere in between. Let me know what you think of the 2-4CM loss in a ride... Trust me I love the fork, and this free help is awesome. Thank you I appreciate your time!!!
Time for a checkup. Sounds like the races are too thin to allow proper preload. Thicker ones, and it's a non issue. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
638 Posts
i think mendon covered it all, and as a novice lefty wrench, he's the one i'd listen to - but don't forget to get the correct pressure. I weigh 120lbs + gear, and 110psi is my base setting. I've dropped it down to 90 before and hated the feel - pump it up - for my weight, the recommendation is like 75 psi, that's ENTIRELY too low for a good feeling, so make sure you're actually tuning it (which it sounds like you are) not just going by the specs, since they're fairly off.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Looked at the Rize 3 a couple of months ago and two of them were leaking from the top. One was hung from the rack front down the other was sitting on both wheels. Has anyone noticed this?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.