Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was running 100 psi, but when arrived at my car back from the trails was waay too soft, so now I have to put140 psi to be able to feel it the way it was with 100 psi.
Maybe lost the oil inside the fork? Has anyone seen this happened?

Lefty PBR 130 one week old, on a Rize carbon 1
found some oil near the filter and the top tube.(small amounts)
Fork feels smooth.

I Weight 165 pounds (recommended psi for my weight is 100 psi)

what do you guys think?

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
The oil around the air filter is normal as the foam is often over-oiled so the extra oil often comes out in the first few rides.

As for the air pressure, I'm not 100% sure. Keep in mind that a new Lefty feels rougher and tends to become smoother as it breaks in, the feel after the ride might only be because it's already smoother. I'd just monitor it in the first few rides, if it ends up you are indeed losing air in a single ride, go back to the shop you got it from, explain the situation and they should fix it, might only be a bad valve which is cheap and easy to fix...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Your not going to want to hear this but I have a Carbon 1 as well and have nothing but issues with my PBR 130. Im on my third one. This time they (cannondale) added thicker bearing races to help lateral flexion causing bearing migration. We are supposed to have 70-72cm of fork length. After a few hours of riding mine kept losing 4-6 cm of travel. Sounds like you may be having the same issue. Its easy to reset but shouldnt be happening in such a short period of time. Have your dealer call the rep. So far I just got mine back and after still having to reset fork length myself because they must have forgot, I went to 25% sag instead of 30% and it seems ok for now. I love the fork when it works and the bike is sweet. Let me know how you make out. Oh and I cracked my first frame in 3 spots ;)

~E

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its worse now.

Cannondale tech dissasembly the fork, to look for something wrong, everything seemed perfect, he put it back together and now we put the same 95psi for my165lbs weight and the fork is rock solid with ZERO sag.
to be able to get 30 sag I went to 60PSI and its totally mushy!!!

When it worked was the best , but right now Im bummed

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,489 Posts
motoadve said:
95psi for my165lbs weight and the fork is rock solid with ZERO sag.
to be able to get 30 sag I went to 60PSI and its totally mushy!!!
What would you expect out of a 35PSI drop? That's 1/3 of your total pressure.

Stop working with sag, go with feel. If 95 felt too firm, go to 90, then 85, etc. Would you expect good things out of your tires if you went from say 30 to 20? I'm guessing not. Sag is not so critical that it's all you need to worry about. Also, if the fpork was just rebuilt, there's plenty fresh stiff grease in there, and it's going to have to break in, before the fork can have any expectations of proper sag adjustment. It's feel man, feel :D

·
Registered
651 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
What would you expect out of a 35PSI drop? That's 1/3 of your total pressure.

Stop working with sag, go with feel. If 95 felt too firm, go to 90, then 85, etc. Would you expect good things out of your tires if you went from say 30 to 20? I'm guessing not. Sag is not so critical that it's all you need to worry about. Also, if the fpork was just rebuilt, there's plenty fresh stiff grease in there, and it's going to have to break in, before the fork can have any expectations of proper sag adjustment. It's feel man, feel :D
I must agree with going with what feels good. My background is racing motorcycles and the sag is pretty important there but I don't fiddle with the sag so much on my MTB. I just set it up so it feels good.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sag its important, as much as in motorcycles.
It gives you climbing and cornering difference.
If you have steep climbs , helps a lot, or else the front end is all over the place and take a lot more effort to climb.
For cornering also gives you a better tighter angle.

The fork has something wrong for sure
Even the Cannondale tech doesnt figure it out.
We put as little as 50psi and is all extended.
I sit on the bike and get the correct sag but waay to soft and bottoms when going downhill.

We can put more air and get ZERO sag and still feels soft
As if the chamber has been reduced.

·
Registered
651 Posts
motoadve said:
Sag its important, as much as in motorcycles.
It gives you climbing and cornering difference.
If you have steep climbs , helps a lot, or else the front end is all over the place and take a lot more effort to climb.
For cornering also gives you a better tighter angle.

The fork has something wrong for sure
Even the Cannondale tech doesnt figure it out.
We put as little as 50psi and is all extended.
I sit on the bike and get the correct sag but waay to soft and bottoms when going downhill.

We can put more air and get ZERO sag and still feels soft
As if the chamber has been reduced.
I think I have a good idea of what sag is for. I've only been doing this for about 25 years. Thanks

·
Registered
188 Posts
-

It sounds like the Solo Air piston is not transferring the positive and negative air correctly. If the shop pulled out the damper and everything looked OK then nothing was done to correct it. The solo air piston has an o-ring an internal o-ring that is inserted into a dovetail looking groove. If it even slightly pops out of that groove the piston becomes 'confused' and does not allow for the transfer of air correctly. The dealer can pull out the damper and then remove the air piston by removing the snap ring with snap ring pliers and then the spring washer. The piston then just pulls off. The o-ring is on the backside. The shop can just push the o-ring back into the groove and that should resolve the issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree with you 100%. Im pretty sure Mendon and the other guys havent fiddled or ridden (at least more than 25 hours) with the new PBR 130. I wouldn't be surprised to see a recall in the near future.

As far as sag goes...

Sag has Everything to do with proper set up. Use your pbr lefty or any fork with over 105-110mm of travel with 10 % then ride it with 40%, and not just around the shop after you assume the fork is fixed. There will be a stupid difference. Im not sure about Mendons tire quote with PSI but there are many variables to tires as well, casing, tpi, etc, etc. Cant just go with feel. Plus you need a starting point. Would you tell Sam Hill to just feel where its ok going into a new course setup at a World Cup?

I ordered the Rize four as a training bike and back up to my One in case this keeps happening. However I havent heard any problems with the Fox RLC version of our lefty have you? Thinking about swaping the internals or whole thing next time mine goes down.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Cannondale tech worked again on my fork and this time seems fine.
Will ride it tomorrow and comment but has 95psi seems smooth and not bottoming and has 36mm sag.

He said he removed and changed the inside oring in the piston, and reset the races.

Hope it works and stays this way.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,489 Posts
Cant just go with feel.
:rolleyes:

So I guess all those years of riding without spending hours on the shop floor sweating with preload decisions over whether I had 10mm of sag or 12, were wasted? You're right, I don't know what I was thinking, my suspension has felt and behaved sooo badly.....:madman:

You miss my point, and my words. A newly built fork will not feel the same as the fork once it's ridden in for a month. I also find more often than not, that folks who sweat the small stuff to a point of paralysis, often don't have anything wrong that a good bit of trail time won't fix.

Not saying that sag isn't a point to consider when getting the bike set up, but for 99% of the riding population, not having it exactly right, won't cause the world to spin backwards. Get out and ride, it'll be okay. If it still sucks, yep, there's an issue, but at least you rode, instead of typed, so you'll feel better too:D

·
I Love my Rize
830 Posts
Love my pbr 130

When I bought the Rize I really wanted the Lefty so I bought the Rize 3. I knew they needed bearing resets every now and then but I was willing to make the plunge and I'm glad I did. I had a real bad crash in late august (bike made me feel superhuman). I bought the bike in late June. Well besides shattering my wrist to smithereens I also messed up my lock out. I sent it back to Dale and they replaced the whole lockout system and now the bike is back to it's killer self. My bearings have only migrated once just a tad since late June and I just reset them about 2 months ago and it was one of the easiest fixes I have ever done. I will GLADLY reset every 4 months to get the performance back up to 100 percent. Let me state the fork still felt very good before I reset. The fork is so smooth and plush and stiff I could never go back to the two legged forks. I believe the Alloy pbr 130's hold their bearing set just a tad better than the carbon ones from what I have been hearing. I ride my Rize real hard. When I first got my Rize I rode my local railroad tracks in the middle for 20 miles to test out the suspension and I couldn't believe how smooth it was but it was probably the best way to migrate your bearings and it passed with flying colors. We will see how the pbr 130 plays out as it is a first year new fork system. I'm sure if there are any problems cannondale will step up to the plate but so far so good.

LOVE MY LEFTY PBR 130 :thumbsup:

·
don't stop
124 Posts
I have a Rize 1, and have found it tricky to set the PSI right in the lefty PBR 130. I find if the PSI is just a bit too low, sometimes when riding along (especially on slight downhills where I might have a bit more weight forward and/or a bit of front braking) I seem to accumulate more and more sag until it almost seems like I've lost half or more of my travel. If I pull up on the bars lightly, just enough to lift the front wheel off the ground, everything pops back to normal for a while until it happens again. It is maybe more of a mental annoyance than anything (the bike rips, and I think I've just learned to pull the front wheel up every now and then by habit), but it doesn't seem right. It is not something I've ever had to deal with in a Fox or RockShox.

Anyone else experience this, or have any suggestions?

Should I send my PBR back to Cannondale this winter for repairs?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yes, I had the same issue, there is a recall for this. I sent mine in for the recall, and all is fine now. I love this fork!!!

Steve

runbaileyrun said:
I have a Rize 1, and have found it tricky to set the PSI right in the lefty PBR 130. I find if the PSI is just a bit too low, sometimes when riding along (especially on slight downhills where I might have a bit more weight forward and/or a bit of front braking) I seem to accumulate more and more sag until it almost seems like I've lost half or more of my travel. If I pull up on the bars lightly, just enough to lift the front wheel off the ground, everything pops back to normal for a while until it happens again. It is maybe more of a mental annoyance than anything (the bike rips, and I think I've just learned to pull the front wheel up every now and then by habit), but it doesn't seem right. It is not something I've ever had to deal with in a Fox or RockShox.

Anyone else experience this, or have any suggestions?

Should I send my PBR back to Cannondale this winter for repairs?

·
don't stop
124 Posts
Thanks - Great to know! I will send mine back, as the riding season up here is basically over anyways (time to get the skiis out).

Definitely I'll echo the same comments... I raced for several years pro-elite XC on a specialized epic, and the Rize and Lefty combo is an absolute dream to ride now that my competitive days are over. It climbs as good as the best of them, but absolutely shines in the rough and technical. I am cleaning sections of trails (rock gardens and large obstacles) that I never could before. Glad to hear this minor annoyance with the lefty is easily solved, because otherwise I am sold on this bike!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Here is the .pdf for the service bulletin. http://www.cannondale.com/asset/iu_files/techcenter/2009_lefty_solo_air_tech_note_en.pdf

runbaileyrun said:
Thanks - Great to know! I will send mine back, as the riding season up here is basically over anyways (time to get the skiis out).

Definitely I'll echo the same comments... I raced for several years pro-elite XC on a specialized epic, and the Rize and Lefty combo is an absolute dream to ride now that my competitive days are over. It climbs as good as the best of them, but absolutely shines in the rough and technical. I am cleaning sections of trails (rock gardens and large obstacles) that I never could before. Glad to hear this minor annoyance with the lefty is easily solved, because otherwise I am sold on this bike!

·
Registered
351 Posts
I think the PBR was a bad choice for the Lefty on Cannondale's part. The Fox RLC and Manitou TPC internal Lefty's I own have never had these problems with setting and forgetting the sag. They just work.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.