Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just "Leftified" my Tallboy with a carbon 140 Max converted down to 120mm for the 29er with the new Project 321 tapered conversion steer tube and the kit works perfectly.

I had been running a Fox F29 120mm (15QR)

What a difference, as I knew it would be since I converted my Ibis Mojo a year ago. I finally decided to steal that Lefty and put it on my Tallboy.

Point and shoot is what I would say. It's a notable improvement. There is basically no "flex feedback" that I can feel. Like I said, point and shoot.

Much more plush as well, also it does not "pack up" in the continuous stutter bumps.... and I dropped another 3/4 lb off the bike.

A little more maintainance I know, but if you want pure performance, a definite option in my opinion.

23.4 lbs in this configuration with the basic XTR build (Avid brakes) and Stans wheel set.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Haha, its always depressing to see a fully suspended and fully geared 29er that is 2 pounds lighter than my rigid single speed.

Great bike though, I'm sure it rides as good as than it looks!

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
nice. can you post a close-up pic showing the headtube area / kit?

with those bars, what's the shortest stem length you can run? i heard '80 mm' from someone, but haven't ridden a Lefty in years so i'm out of date...

·
Registered
955 Posts
frorider said:
nice. can you post a close-up pic showing the headtube area / kit?

with those bars, what's the shortest stem length you can run? i heard '80 mm' from someone, but haven't ridden a Lefty in years so i'm out of date...
Stem length is dependent on whether you run spacers on top of the Lefty crown and stem rise/drop. In my case I run zero spacers and a 6 degree stem flipped in the negative direction. 6 degree drop 100mm stem but I could go as short as 90 with this combo without interfering with the crown. 80 mm with any rise or drop or spacer combo may get the actual handlebar hitting the Lefty tube.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Awesome bike! I can easily see another 1-1.5lbs that could be trimmed if one wanted (not saying you should or need to). It's almost as light as my SS front sus. race bike from the last couple of years. Nice work! I am currently building up a full rigid weight weenie SS, but have been contemplating a lefty if I just don't like the rigid fork.

·
bike rider
1,152 Posts
Awesome!! My next build is a TallBoy with a Lefty. I'm going full weight weenie so I'm hoping for sub 20lbs depending on the availability of some things but yours is NICE!!! Beat the hell out of it. I pedaled one around at a local 12 Hoiur race and it was so stiff (laterally) for a dual suspension bike, even a 26er. I gotta have one.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Looks sweet and dropping 3/4lb is alot. Yeah, you know it's just your BASIC XTR build kit :skep: What's considered NOT basic to you then? :D

G

·
TunicaTrails said:
Yeah, isn't it really 110mm? Just trying to find out for my own future potential benefit.
The difference between the two wheel sizes is (622 - 559) = 63mm. Half of that is about 30mm. That should be the amount of travel reduction used, so the travel should be 110mm. What it actually is depends on how the conversion was done, but if it's 120mm then that tire better not be too big.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.