Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ha a nice ride today an noticed about 20km in that it was making a weird sound. Got off to check and realized there was no dampning. I set it for more and it didnt change. Checked the pbr and it does nothing. Holds air fine. Did a bearing reset last weekend and it was fine after.

This suck as I have a race next weekend and no local shop for 2 hours.
Any help would be great.

Sorry its a 90mm opi on a flash alloy 2 29er

Thanks

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok well i figured it out.

That plastic part closest to the fork is supposed to be threaded into the top of the damper. I can hear the air gettig into the fluid as i cycle the damper. Now the question is can i refill it my self with out taking the damper out as I dont have the right tool?

I have never bought anythin with so many loose parts in my life. Loose crank, loose and stripped rear derailer and now loose fork internals.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What color should the oil be. I tip the bike adter threading the plug back in and in came out a very dark grey. Now there was a couple of aluminum shavings. I assume the colour was due to the oils mixing with the grease. It was even coming out of the air filter.

ThIs bike was bought in april.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well i thinks it needs to come apart to be cleaned properly. B.S.
Heres a little vid
You can see some of the shavings coming out. Most is just clumped up grease from the oil washing it away.
lefty leaking on Vimeo

Heres some of the shavings

That big one is about 3/8th of an inch long.

I wonder if its salvagable or do i just get it replaced. My dealer is in florida and im in canada. Poses a bit of a problem. The local dealer is 2 hours away and not sure if they will even help out.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So next question is. Can i fill the oil from the cap that came lose? Is there any way to split the fork without the castle tool?

·
Ridin' dirty!
2,133 Posts
You don't have to split the fork for this.
All it needs is a damper cartridge service.
Bring it back to the shop where you purchased it it's a 20min. fix.....
A castle tool is needed to remove the cartridge.......in order to properly bleed it it NEEDS to come out.....you CAN NOT simply pour oil in it and screw that white cap back on....

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thanks. My reason to split it is there is no way to clean it properly. All the grease has been washed away. My dealer is in florida. Im in canada now. Since its under warrenty i will request a replacment. Te metal shavings scared me. They could have been left over from the manufacturing process. Inner races look fine and I did catch the problem with in an hour of riding.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,342 Posts
Sorry, CDM, but no, you do need to open the whole thing up at this point. Super oily bearings and races will make it run like crap, and migrate really fast.

Sorry for your hassle OP, but that thing needs help. You can't likely DIY, especially in a hurry.

Also, it's under warranty, so yes, it needs to go to a dealer.

I've seen this before, not the first one, but also not common.

That so much was loose elsewhere speaks to the dealers build up, not Cannondale doing a poor job.

That said, the damper caps shouldn't loosen up, and definitely not THAT quickly if they do....

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. I contacted a local dealer and they said they would help me out. Really happy to hear that.
Can you guess as to where all the shavings are coming from?

Hopefully cannondale fixes it right as i woul hate to have issues after te warrenty period.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If i got a hold of the castle tool how hard is it to split and put together. Im a former auto tech and have lots of engine building. I am comfortable with anything as long as i can get tips before hand.

Im hopeing to get it runnin forbthe weekend ( in proper workig shape ) and then send it in to have it looked over.

·
Ridin' dirty!
2,133 Posts
If i got a hold of the castle tool how hard is it to split and put together. Im a former auto tech and have lots of engine building. I am comfortable with anything as long as i can get tips before hand.

Im hopeing to get it runnin forbthe weekend ( in proper workig shape ) and then send it in to have it looked over.
Just pay for express shipping and send it to Mendon, I bet he'll be able to hook you up asap!
Don't forget that once you mess with it and screw it up your warranty is out the window!

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can handle being without it. I will miss a few races but what can you do.

Does mendon handle warrenty claims or is it out of pocket?

·
16,342 Posts
Does mendon handle warrenty claims or is it out of pocket?
I do on stuff I've sold, or worked on. Otherwise, it's on you.

While I'd be happy to help if you wanted to pay, I'd let Cannondale fix this. They need to see these things come back, so they can work on fixing that type of issue.....

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea I agree. I wish I knew that it could happen and I would have checked it.
I will send my forks to you once the warrenty is up (or I get sick of Cdale messing it up), you have a great reputation around here.

·
Sweater
1,949 Posts

It's not too hard, especially the second time. There's a couple tools you need that most people don't have laying around. The biggest thing though is those shavings you found. I would suspect they are from threads somewhere. Maybe where the damper threads into the body of the fork or maybe where the damper cap backed out. Either way, I wouldn't tear into it at this point if I suspected something like that especially with the warranty...
Good luck

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yea I should just leave it. It in my nature to fix things. I have more faith in myself then large corperations. I always feel like im lost in the mix and thing get half assed.

Im tryinto figure out the shavings aswell. I cant see what else might wear out. The cap on the damper is plastic and except for the last thread that came off it threaded back in with no hassle. I think you may be right on the threads.

·
16,342 Posts
The shavings could have come from any number of places. I've found them before inside forks, typically in the telescope. It's a highly machined product, so a filing or three stuck in a crevice is always a possibility. Lots of nooks and crannies in that outer tube.......

A good cleaning usually gets them all, but not always, and yes of course, they are cleaned prior to assembly in the factory. ;)

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just talked to Cdale and he is aware that its not a common problem but it does happen from time to time. He told me I will ge a new damper and it will have a metal cap that they can use a thread locker on.

Said abou a 2 week turn around. That pretty decent. I will get it to the dealer this week.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts