Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, check out my Frankenmonkey with a custom 1 1/8" Lefty. This beast rips in all conditions and seems to have the perfect geometry. I replaced the 1.5" steerer with a 1 1/8" steerer welded to spacers that pressed into the lefty clamps. For details check my reply to the 1 1/8" lefty thread.

This is my first 29er and I couldn't be happier with the ride quality. I originally set up the bike with a rohloff, but prefer the weight balance and descending control with this 1x9 setup. It was 31 lbs with the rohloff and now is 29 lbs. I'm going to make some sort of chain guide soon.

I have been riding lots of singletrack here in Vermont and doing some serious bushwhacking and trail scouting where a little wheeled bike just couldn't go! At the local weekly races (Catamount, home of the largest weekly race seried in the country) there are usually at least four other 29ers including another karate monkey, fisher, airborne, and some "scorcher" fixed gears with big wheels.
The 29er movement is gaining momentum as we knew it would!

Ride On,
Brooke

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Make a chain guide? Why go through all the effort when you can buy an N-gear jumpstop for a few bucks? That, and buy a chain guide by Spot, Salsa, or e-13 or what ever. Less hassle for you in terms of design time and construction time(plus any mods you'll have to make...Its what I've been using on my 1x8, and I've had narry an issue.

Sweet set up though! I love the use of the lefty. I assume that you reduced travel on it right?

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.