Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I looked up the pdf instructions and it specified 155ml. I followed the instructions of cycling the fork to get all the oil out of the damper. Just to clarify I have that foam piece tie-wrapped to the compression damper. Anyways, I put 150ml in the fork and when I put the damper back in, oil started overflowing even before I was able to thread on the bottom cap of the fork.

Is that normal??? I was thinking that maybe the idea was to make sure there were no air pockets in the fork but it's still a little strange. Either way, when I press the fork down, about halfway through the travel I feel a little 'clunk' in the stroke. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Clunking sound...

Two thoughts on this...

You may not be getting all the oil out of the chamber and you are over-filling it. I recently did a quad seal replacement and took the lower cartridge out. I was surprised out much oil was behind the cartridge even though I'd cycled the fork numerous times. When I put 155 CC of oil back in the fork, it did NOT overflow when I replaced the bladder. Fork works great. (Note: I cycled the fork several times prior to putting the bladder back in).

Second - See the picture below. I suspect the crimp connection on the valving cartridge may be responsible for the noise you are hearing.... It is held by 4 equally spaced punch marks. It will get play in it and move both sideways and up and down. I re-staked mine last time I had it apart using a punch and hammer. Fork is quiet after clunking for years.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts