Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Killer of Chains
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like I said in another post, I'm thinking of removing my Lefty in favor of a Pike for my Prophet.

However, I keep thinking I may want a lighter, 27lbs or less hard tail for faster days.

I've eyed some 29" frames, but I wasn't sure if I could run the Lefty setup for a 29" wheel or not.

Can I?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yes, that is easily done. I run 3 different Lefty's on 29ers: carbon Max (reduced to 110mm), carbon DLR2 (reduced to 80mm), and my newest edition a Lefty with Fox RLC internals (also at 80mm).

Mendoncylcesmith (Craig) should chime in in the morning. Craig has the Max spacers available for only a few dollars, and it is a simple task to install / reduce the travel.

You will most likely need a Project 321 adapter which allows the Lefty to use a 1 1/8" steerer tube - $90.

JAH

·
Registered
62 Posts
marty_hd said:
The Lefty Max works great as a 29er conversion, especially becasue it is so easy to limit the travel. Once you have the Lefty on the bike you can cutsomize your spacer by cutting it down to eak the max travel out of the fork. Leave about 10mm between the the tire and bottom of the steerer tube and you will be golden.

Cheers,
Marty

Hi Marty,

What is the travel your Lefty Max? 80mm? I am thinking of putting one on my Niner AIR9. Thank you:thumbsup:

·
Registered
344 Posts
The most that you need to reduce the travel is by 30mm. Many of us get away with a 15-20mm reduction, especially if you are using a Lefty with adjustable clamps (non-bonded). So, that brings the most recent generation of Max to 110mm.

If you were looking for something in the 80mm range, consider the DLR2, SL, or even the Lefty with Fox RLC internals.

Mendoncyclesmith has the reducers for dirt cheap if you need one...

JAH

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
Yeah, what they said! :thumbsup:
Craig, I don't quite follow. Can you explain it better the travel limit and the use of a spacer to get it done, because I'm interested in trying a 29er front on my Prophet with a Lefty Max Carbon. I've been thinking about the 650b as well. Would I need to do same things as 29er, or a 650b wheel fits w/o any mods? Thanks in advance.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,476 Posts
Black RONIN said:
Can you explain it better the travel limit and the use of a spacer to get it done,
Pretty straightforward. You just need to procure a spacer. These are 30mm long, and can be gotten at your LBS if they're innovative, and reasonable. If they just toe the line, there is no actual spacer for a Max. The spacer simply gets dropped onto the rebound shaft, and sits inside the spring. Not too sure how I can explain it better, let me know if you need more info.

·
Cars Are Evil
1,126 Posts
bump! I'm very interested in a Lefty. I'm thinking of putting it on my new Sinister Simon Bar, but the SB is designed for a fairly tall fork. I'm wondering if the Lefty Max allows enough adjustment? It sure looks like it does.

·
Registered
173 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
Pretty straightforward. You just need to procure a spacer. These are 30mm long, and can be gotten at your LBS if they're innovative, and reasonable. If they just toe the line, there is no actual spacer for a Max. The spacer simply gets dropped onto the rebound shaft, and sits inside the spring. Not too sure how I can explain it better, let me know if you need more info.
Does installing the spacer change the axle-to-crown measurement or does it just merely limit the travel of the fork? Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Lefty RLC 100mm to 80mm

Anyone know how JAH reduced the travel on the RLC to fit the 29er wheel? Ive got a brand new one in a box that i was getting ready to sell cause they say it can't be done?

·
Registered
344 Posts
From one of my earlier posts:

All you need is:
+

Craig was able to take a spacer that he uses from a Max, open up the inner diameter to fit the RLC, and poof I have had an 80mm RLC for about a year.

Jeffrey

·
Registered
61 Posts
hi there.
I want to buy the spacers from MendonCS to modify the Lefty Rlc travel, where to find instructions to modify open/close the fork??
Thanks a lot, regards

·
Registered
344 Posts
Just follow the instructions to change the spring; you will find this in the RLC manual on C-dale's site. Do each of the steps up until the point where you could slide the spring off. At that point, slide the spacer down.

I have been running the RLC at 80mm for over a year.

JAH

·
Registered
61 Posts
xJAHx said:
Just follow the instructions to change the spring; you will find this in the RLC manual on C-dale's site. Do each of the steps up until the point where you could slide the spring off. At that point, slide the spacer down.

I have been running the RLC at 80mm for over a year.

JAH
Ok, thanks a lot.
I will buy the spacer from MendonCS and try.... :-O

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.