Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
edit: oh yea, its a lefty max 140 fluid flow 2007

So I went into my basement to pack things up for a big move and while I was moving my 07 prophet I compressed the lefty and it made a noise I never heard before...

When I compress the fork its fine, but while rebounding it makes a terrrrible sounding slurrrrrping noise... I was wondering if anyone knew what this is? I havent had and luck searching the interweb...

Last time I used it was about 2 weeks ago and it def. didn't make this noise...

my question is...

1. wtf is going on

2.1 what should I do?

thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
WOW!!! wtfigo? My 87 Prophet is in the garage right now it's about 40 degrees out there normally in the winter. I've got Royal Purple on the top end and Phil Wood coating the needle bearings. Once my air filter ports got clogged a little with some grease off my hands from not paying attention and it did make a light slurping sound but it was not very noticable. Hope this helps.

Moe

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
As I remember, that is air in the oil.
I had this once right after I changed the oil in my Lefty.

I flipped the bike, and cycled the lefty the best I could to get the air near the tiny air port on the bottom (the little screw that is an hex head). I let it sit for an hr or so. Then, I opened that air port and put oil in to displace the air. I did this with a small syringe connected to a very small metal tube I got at home depot. It allowed the oil in and the air out. It was not fast, but it worked. YMMV.

There may be a better way, this is just what I came up with late one night.

·
IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MTB Moe said:
WOW!!! wtfigo? My 87 Prophet is in the garage right now it's about 40 degrees out there normally in the winter. I've got Royal Purple on the top end and Phil Wood coating the needle bearings. Once my air filter ports got clogged a little with some grease off my hands from not paying attention and it did make a light slurping sound but it was not very noticable. Hope this helps.

Moe
You sure you got a '87 prophet?

zischwg- I will try that, I flipped it for a few seconds, thinking it would solve it right when it happened... it worked on my old manitou fork... I gotta try again and give it more time...

·
Registered
91 Posts
07 not 87, I left it thinking you'd figure out typo. Mines a Prophet 4 with the same 140 Max TPC. Air in the bottom end oil sounds right, Good Luck

Moe

·
IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
since I bought this second hand and only have riden it a handfull of times do you guys think it would be advisable to get it looked at and/or overhauled by someone who actually knows what they are doing?

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,400 Posts
DriveByBikeShooting said:
since I bought this second hand and only have riden it a handfull of times do you guys think it would be advisable to get it looked at and/or overhauled by someone who actually knows what they are doing?
Yes, it would be a good idea. A nice service every once in a while will keep it running smooth and for a long time and will take care of your slurrrrrp.

If you can't find a shop that will do it in-house in your area, send it to MendonCycleSmith, he's the Lefty king, great work, short turnaround times and low prices.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I would never disagree with taking it in to a good Cannondale repair center for service. It might be a good way to get started with your Prophet, you know (fully tuned). Man I love my Prophet, Cannondale won't be making an All Mountain frame like that ever again. Some of the drops I've done with that bike have blown me away.

Cannondale also has a good manual pdf for that fork on the website.

Moe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.