Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody replaced the helicoil into their lefty spindle? Is it a difficult procedure? Or is it just a matter of finding the right sized helicoil and threading it in?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I did see that post. There was no mention of what kind of tool I would need. I have a new helicoil that i'm pretty sure is the right size. When I started to thread it in, there was some resistance such that when I tried to torque it, the spring would bend. I'm pretty sure that the threads are in tact. Is there a tool to generate more torque to thread it in?

·
Avenger of Evil
577 Posts
robhyldahl said:
Yeah, I did see that post. There was no mention of what kind of tool I would need. I have a new helicoil that i'm pretty sure is the right size. When I started to thread it in, there was some resistance such that when I tried to torque it, the spring would bend. I'm pretty sure that the threads are in tact. Is there a tool to generate more torque to thread it in?
If you have a new Helicoil, yes you will need an installation tool. It does not put more torque on the helicoil, but allows it to compress into the center. The tool is needed to break off the installation "tang" that is at the bottom end of the Helicoil.
Product Metal Colorfulness Cylinder Still life photography

Product Electronic device Technology Display device Laptop accessory

Metal Still life photography Nut

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.