Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
or die try'n
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help, I noticed on my Lefty Scalpel that when I looked through the head tube, my tire was offset toward the right by about 1/4" to 3/8". It has disc brakes, so I figured the dish was off and proceeded to re-dish the wheel toward the left by loosening right side spokes and tightening left side spokes by about 1/2 to 1 turn each. The dish worked and the wheel is now centered and true in the frame, but the new alignment resulted in speed wobble no hands style with dramatic pull. Can someone please answer the following.

First, should the wheel appear in the center of the frame, or should it be offset (R or L)?

As the wheel is dished toward the right (centered on its hub), how will that affect the pull and or balance of riding no hands?

Because the hub is a 6 bolt disc, the wheel is not centered between the spoke portions of the hub. The left spokes are fairly straight, while the right spokes have more of an angle outward.

Any help would be appreciated as the other posts did not elaborate on cause and effect.

John

·
Registered
199 Posts
I got a set of those jalco rims off the SS bikes from last year. The front rim was seriously more than 1/2" off from center. Measuring from the center of the headset down to the tire. It made it IMPOSSIBLE to ride without hands. I centered it the best I could and it's better, but still offset.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Don't measure things like this with just looking. You really have to set it in a wheelbuild stand and use a dummy axle in the hub to see if it's no in the center.
just looking from a distance or I don't know what you do with the blink of an eye is not the right way and you will not see the correct distances of out-of-center.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ninko
I say yes and no to your statement.
It's true if you assume the frame and fork are absolutely aligned correctly.
In my experience that's rarely the case, especially with mass produced aluminium frames.

You can use a jig placed through the hollow stem of a Cannondale to check the alignment of a rim against the head tube.

getjohn
Make sure you check that your brake and derailleur cables aren't causing some push/pull.
Shift your weight on the saddle slightly and see if that improves things.

·
Just a flesh wound
2,373 Posts
Similar experience

I had a Mavic 819 wheelset built for me at the LBS (good shop). The dish was about 1/8" to the right on the front. I did not notice for the first hour or so. Then I went no hands on a pavement stretch and the normal but cheek to the side was not needed! Straight ahead!

1 year now and I wouldn't have it any other way.

·
or die try'n
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Before I redished the front wheel it was spaced about 1/8" to the right. It rode straight with a slight but cheek move. Once I redished to the center, now even the but cheek maneuver didn't work. The cables may have had a minor issue, but i think I will redish to the right and live with the visual deception.

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.