Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Good For You
407 Posts
Up until the '09 forks, they had (3) 10mm travel reducers (but axel to crown stayed the same) and a different air chamber that made the fork more progressive. '09 forks now have the SoloAir cartridge and there is a specific cartridge for the 29er (basically doing the same as the different air chamber, making it more progressive), this is in addition to the (3) 10mm travel reducers.

It has been my experience that you do not need all 3 spacers, I am running 2 spacers in my '06 Carbon DLR2 with about a 5mm gap between the tire and fork crown at full compression, with 2.25 Racing Ralphs. This means you could have 90mm travel and no issues with hitting the tire. I also have an '08 Carbon Max 130 PBR reduced down to 110mm. Without the 29er specific SoloAir cartridge, it is way too linear for a 29er, I will be installing the cartridge in the next day or two. The PBR is not offered by Cannondale in a 29er configuration, I am using parts intended for the DLR fork which should work on the PBR.

Edit: just re-read your post and to clarify: All factory 29er Leftys are 110mm travel 26er forks reduced to 80mm travel forks with a more progressive air spring.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.