Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I"m kicking around a custom frameset.

If I could get one built with a 1.5 headtube, and the right HT length will the lefty work with any 1.5 headset OR, is this a case where it's not only the 1.5 headtube, but having cannondale proprietary headset/bearings/cups?

I know there are some adapters out there for running a lefty on a 1 1/8 headtube, but I'm looking into seeing if there is a way to get a custom build done to just run one without an adapter.

thanks - GG

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,374 Posts
Green Giant said:

If I could get one built with a 1.5 headtube, and the right HT length will the lefty work with any 1.5 headset OR, is this a case where it's not only the 1.5 headtube, but having cannondale proprietary headset/bearings/cups?

I know there are some adapters out there for running a lefty on a 1 1/8 headtube, but I'm looking into seeing if there is a way to get a custom build done to just run one without an adapter.

thanks - GG
Hey there, yup, Leftie's are a 1.5(actually not, but soooooclose, it does not matter), makes your life easy! Happy project!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Green Giant said:

thanks - GG
You also need to make sure your head tube length is the same as a Cannondale (Very important, as the steerer tube can not be cut!!!). I just can't think of the length off the top of my head right now. You'll also need Headshok cups and bearings/bearing seal as well as a Headshok stem because although a lefty will fit into a 1.5 head tube the actual O.D. of the lefty steerer is 1.55.

Enjoy riding one of the stiffest, lightest forks on the market!

·
16,374 Posts
lessgearsmorebeers said:
You also need to make sure your head tube length is the same as a Cannondale (Very important, as the steerer tube can not be cut!!!). I just can't think of the length off the top of my head right now. You'll also need Headshok cups and bearings/bearing seal as well as a Headshok stem because although a lefty will fit into a 1.5 head tube the actual O.D. of the lefty steerer is 1.55.

Enjoy riding one of the stiffest, lightest forks on the market!
Good point, it's 212 mm. (kinda helpful information) =:)

·
≈ > ♥
956 Posts
Green Giant, I'm in the midst of doing something similar to you, building my own frame.

The Lefty/headshock will work on a 1.5" standard sized headtube, as long as it is 4.75" (121mm) long. You also need to use the Headshock/Lefty headset, as a 1.5" steerer is a slightly different size than the Cann steerer.

Good luck with your project, post her up when you're done.

·
16,374 Posts
zahgurim said:
Green Giant, I'm in the midst of doing something similar to you, building my own frame.

The Lefty/headshock will work on a 1.5" standard sized headtube, as long as it is 4.75" (121mm) long. You also need to use the Headshock/Lefty headset, as a 1.5" steerer is a slightly different size than the Cann steerer.

Good luck with your project, post her up when you're done.
Correct, 121mm, I must have beem having a really bad case of flipitarounditis yesterday!=:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.