Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've got a brand new Lefty DLR 110mm. She holds air just fine, but I cannot get air to pump into the schraeder valve.

My brand new shock pump will pump up the Fox rear shock fine, but when I snug it up to the Lefty there is no register on the guage for air pressure. When I pump air in it will only go into the shock pump hose and not into the fork. The pump is threaded on as far as it can go even when I do this.

I looked and think the valve core centre is to far in?! When I compare the pin in the centre of the valve core to the core on my rear shock I see a difference in height from the valve edge to the pin. It looks like it is deeper set.

I'm thinking of trying my buddies shock pump to see if his works, and if not going and buying a valve core tool and trying to raise the core.

Any words, advice, experience you can offer up?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have the same problem. I read on this forum that you can take a small ball bearing and put in between the stem and pump so it'll push down on the valve.

·
Registered
137 Posts
i had a customer come in with the exact same problem. i did the ball bearing thing, which worked to change the air pressure. after looking closer, my boss and i came to the conclusion that the valve was damaged.

we then swapped the valve off of another lefty that we had laying around. all that is swapped is the bottom "bolt" this is roughly a 24mm and threaded into the bottom of the strut. fixed the problem

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice folks,

I tore apart an old pedal to grab some small ball bearings. By placing it between the valve core and the shock pump I was able to get air into the fork! Well done, thanks for the advice.

J.

PS I tried doing this with the bike inverted first, but when I released the pump far too much air was rushing out and I was not getting an accurate read. However when I flipped the bike right side up and then took off the pump, it released correctly. I did drop the ball bearing into the great unknown under the work bench. Luckily I have plenty more of those from the pedal.

PPS This method will blow if I have to do it in the field...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.