Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering getting a rush and with a small budget I am debating between the 400 and 600. With the lefty being the biggest difference. The guy at the LBS says the left is the real deal, but I would expect him to say that. so have any of you C'Dale owners had any real problems or general complaints about your lefty's? ( I only remove the front wheel occasionally to put the bike in my trunk).

·
Registered
815 Posts
rekibtm said:
I am considering getting a rush and with a small budget I am debating between the 400 and 600. With the lefty being the biggest difference. The guy at the LBS says the left is the real deal, but I would expect him to say that. so have any of you C'Dale owners had any real problems or general complaints about your lefty's? ( I only remove the front wheel occasionally to put the bike in my trunk).
That would be my sole complaint-most roof racks are out of the question. I purchased a Lefty on e-bay for my F-600, and it was worth it. I prefer it to the Fatty, and find the adjustability superior. No beef here.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Get a rack that doesn't require removing the front wheel, and it actually saves you time since you don't have to remove the front wheel to change a flat.

My husband had a Jeckyll w/a lefty that he used for several years, passed down to me, and now has been sold to two of our friends - still going strong. No complaints here.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I recently bought a Rush 600. I did have a problem with the Lefty leaking oil. Apparently it just needs a seal upgrade. I just took it in and should have it back from the shop soon.

With that said, when I was riding, the Lefty was pretty awesome. It felt very strong yet smooth. I ride only XC/trail (no jumps/drops), but weigh about 240 lbs. The Lefty worked really well on everything.

The Lefty was one of the big reasons why I went with the 600. It's the same Lefty that comes on their $2,600 bike. I haven't ridden the Manitou R7 line, but I've heard good things about those too.

I think either way you decide to go, you're getting really good value at those price points.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
Leftys are great! They are plush, light, very strong and offer stiffness to make other fork manufacturer ashamed. They are in a class of their own and in my opinion, one of the main reason to go with Cannondale... of course, the rest of the bike is very good too!

·
Registered
98 Posts
i'm gona stick my neck out and probably get me head chopped off, but i'm a little disapointed with my lefty. I bought a Prophet 600 about two months back, lefty was intially ok, nothing too special but since has started to top out when lifting the fron wheel leaves the ground (even slighlty) had the fork serviced when the bike was done and apparently nothing is wrong. if you wind the rebound right up it stops but feels crap to ride with. I'm not over convinced about the plushness and smoothness of the lefty either had a marzocchi bomber (z1) before and that used to feel super smooth and plush. may just be me but i'm considering replacing the lefty with something like a pike or bomber.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
disco_stu said:
i'm gona stick my neck out and probably get me head chopped off, but i'm a little disapointed with my lefty. I bought a Prophet 600 about two months back, lefty was intially ok, nothing too special but since has started to top out when lifting the fron wheel leaves the ground (even slighlty) had the fork serviced when the bike was done and apparently nothing is wrong. if you wind the rebound right up it stops but feels crap to ride with. I'm not over convinced about the plushness and smoothness of the lefty either had a marzocchi bomber (z1) before and that used to feel super smooth and plush. may just be me but i'm considering replacing the lefty with something like a pike or bomber.
Okay, where is the Head Chop button? :D

Seriously, everybody has an opinion about what's good and what's not... And tuning can make a hell of a difference between an great suspension, an okay one and a bad one. But if your Lefty felt good and didn't have the top out at first and the shop can't fix it, find a better shop.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have to say that I am very pleased with my decision to get a Rush 600 over the 400.
This is my first lefty and I am impressed with its performance. If you can swing it I highly recommend the 600.

If possible go try one out first, as you can see above not everyone likes it or would prefer something else..

·
Registered
98 Posts
Dan Gerous said:
Okay, where is the Head Chop button? :D

Seriously, everybody has an opinion about what's good and what's not... And tuning can make a hell of a difference between an great suspension, an okay one and a bad one. But if your Lefty felt good and didn't have the top out at first and the shop can't fix it, find a better shop.
thing is, i asked the shop where i bought it from, who are a recognised lefty service place, if it was normal and they told me it was. does anyone elses lefty feel like this or is just mine? i may try and find another shop and see what they say.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I wish there it was a rear(Lefty) Righty

I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but I think the drivetrain being on the right is the reason for the front Lefty and not Righty. Something along the physics of dynamic moments of inertia, but I sure wish they would market a rear drivetrain Righty, this going along with what someone else on this thread said about making tires/tubes easier to change. I'll be the first to buy:thumbsup:

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
XCProphet said:
I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but I think the drivetrain being on the right is the reason for the front Lefty and not Righty. Something along the physics of dynamic moments of inertia, but I sure wish they would market a rear drivetrain Righty, this going along with what someone else on this thread said about making tires/tubes easier to change. I'll be the first to buy:thumbsup:
There are more things involved in the Lefty/Righty than balance. The reason the Lefty is not a Righty is because disc brakes are all on the Left, it's an industry standard... and can you imagine the technical challenge a righty rear end would pose? You would have to fit a 9 speed cassette, derailleur, rotor and caliper on one side! Sure makes tires easier to change but it complicates everything else... They didn't make the Lefty to look cool, it was just to take advantage of the technology they could come up with and ended up with a very light front suspension for it's class that outperform it's competition in most other aspects.

·
Registered
338 Posts
The Innovative Cannondale Invention

Dan Gerous said:
There are more things involved in the Lefty/Righty than balance. The reason the Lefty is not a Righty is because disc brakes are all on the Left, it's an industry standard... and can you imagine the technical challenge a righty rear end would pose? You would have to fit a 9 speed cassette, derailleur, rotor and caliper on one side! Sure makes tires easier to change but it complicates everything else... They didn't make the Lefty to look cool, it was just to take advantage of the technology they could come up with and ended up with a very light front suspension for it's class that outperform it's competition in most other aspects.
How about an internal bottom bracket drivetrain/brake system, or possibly crank mounted disc brakes. Honeydew smells a patent, gotta go...MEEP! MEEP MEEP!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
rekibtm said:
I don't no about the lefty dlr but Lefty max 140 = bearing migration every 6-10 hours. 5 minutes for repair, but...

Very rigid fork

·
Registered
815 Posts
XCProphet said:
Maybe if the Rohloff hub was perfected, and didn't cost as much as a complete bike?

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,470 Posts
disco_stu said:
thing is, i asked the shop where i bought it from, who are a recognised lefty service place, if it was normal and they told me it was. does anyone elses lefty feel like this or is just mine? i may try and find another shop and see what they say.
Holy heap of BS!! Top out is not "normal", it occurs when the bearing have migrated, and disappears when the migration is corrected. If they, and established lefty service center, gave you that answer, well, that's just frightening. Find another shop, and better yet, spend the two minutes, and reset it yourself. Need more info, email me @ [email protected]. Ride hard.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
both my dale's have Lefty's and they have been super relaible, ok the one on the rush is only 3 weeks old but teh DLR on the Sclapel has seen well over 12000Km and is still in mint condition.

NO faults here, excellent suspension

·
Registered
171 Posts
Dan Gerous said:
Always wanted to ask this and you post reminded me. I googled the heck out of it and cannot find anything. In the early 90's I seem in a magazine that a major bike company (cannot remember which one maybe Cannondale or Specialized or Trek) was working on a modular mountain bike. I believe it had a lefty and a righty. It was being built in a well equipped barn with CNC machine and other high tech machines. It was a famous guy doing the design work and he got in trouble for saying he wanted his own components no Shimano. The frame could be repaired easily by swapping just the failed part, used the same tool for everything. The next month there was a retraction from the company stating they are pleased with their Shimano relationship etc. Does anyone remember this? It was a cool design and I wonder why nothing became of it. I would love to find a picture of the proto bike.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
fokof said:
I think it was a CODA/Magic project bike....
By Alex Pong? Wasn't he the one who design integrated proprietary stuff like the Coda crankset that had the drive side arm, spider AND chainrings machined of one big chunk of alloy. While the idea was nice, making it light and looking crazy, when your chainrings are worn out (and it will wear out), you need to change the whole thing. I was surprised to see it shipping to consumers.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.