Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how you change the boot on the lefty. Does the axle come off? There is a hexagonal nut at the bottom of the leg. Does this hold the axle on?

Also, does any one else find that the boot is a little short? When I have reset the bearings I find that the boot is about half an inch too short. I have to stretch it down for it to reach the bottom and even though it zip tie it as tightly as possible, it always seems to ride up about half an inch. It is only just below the bottom of the races.

Thanks

Andrew

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,393 Posts
Idlefrog said:
I was wondering how you change the boot on the lefty. Does the axle come off? There is a hexagonal nut at the bottom of the leg. Does this hold the axle on?

Also, does any one else find that the boot is a little short? When I have reset the bearings I find that the boot is about half an inch too short. I have to stretch it down for it to reach the bottom and even though it zip tie it as tightly as possible, it always seems to ride up about half an inch. It is only just below the bottom of the races.

Thanks

Andrew
Hey Andrew, the hex on the bottom holds in your oil, don't take it off unless you want to unleash that demon=:) It does nothing to hold the lower together. If your boot is moving up, chances are, either the bottom zip tie is a bit loose, or the boot is a bit high up on the upper leg, try gently squooshing it down a bit. As to the removal/installation of the boot, you need to take the fork apart, sorry. It can be taken off over the axle, but it's a ROYAL PITA, and usually the boot tears, so I don't recommend it. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Mendon, I won't undo the nut :)

The boot is in fine condition at the moment, I just wondered how it was changed when needs be. It sounds quite a job.

I think the boot is in its original position. The top of the boot is directly below the smaller boot that covers the air filter. They actually touch each other but they don't overlap. I think that is how the fork came. The top of the boot fits in a slot that way.

Thanks again for your help. It is great to have someone as knowledgable as you on the forum.

Regards

Andrew

·
Registered
51 Posts
just did it

i just replaced the boot on my lefty this weekend, and no matter how you do it, as mendon said, its a p.i.t.a. i removed the lefty, removed the top cap, wrapped electrical tape around the gap, making a tape "reducer," and then put a really light coat of grease on the tape so the new boot would kinda slide over it easier. had to do the same thing at the bottom where the upper and lower slide into each other, theres a small lip there that the boot had a hard time sliding over. without the tape and grease, nothing was working. i spent about 45 minutes just staring at my lefty, after screwing with it for nearly an hour. after the old ripped boot was off, i had no choice but to get creative (i'm too proud to take it in and admit i got in over my head. cleaned and oiled my air filter while i was in there. i rode today and fork works better than new. i did notice that one of the races is "delaminated" or coming off at the very bottom, up maybe an inch. when the fork compresses, it will push it back onto the leg. it's not bent or anything. should i worry about it? rode it hard (for me), without even a slight hiccup.

·
16,393 Posts
i did notice that one of the races is "delaminated" or coming off at the very bottom, up maybe an inch. when the fork compresses, it will push it back onto the leg. it's not bent or anything. should i worry about it? rode it hard (for me), without even a slight hiccup.[/QUOTE]

Kudos to you, now try it with a Carbon flavor, where the upper braces are bonded to the leg!=;) So, you're saying that the race slid up in it's groove when the fork is extended, and drops back down when you compress the fork? That's not right, it should be tightly in place. The top end of the damping controls holds it down, if it's not, you need to get that fixed!

·
Registered
51 Posts
the race isn't sliding, just the bottom of it (closest to the axle) dosen't seem to be attatched to the actual fork leg from the bottom of the race, up nearly an inch. it's only on one of the races. the others are fine.

·
16,393 Posts
d-unit said:
the race isn't sliding, just the bottom of it (closest to the axle) dosen't seem to be attatched to the actual fork leg from the bottom of the race, up nearly an inch. it's only on one of the races. the others are fine.
So, you are saying it's just kind of sprung outward, but if you pushed it to the leg, it would sit all the way down with it's curve, and the curve in the machined slot matching up like all the others? If so, it's okay, but the next time you have it serviced, mention it to the tech, and they can put a little reverse curvature on it to make it stay down. Cheers!

·
Registered
51 Posts
exactly. dosen't seem too serious to me either. i'm trying to be self sufficient as far as service goes (that's why i so appreciate you and everyone else here), but if need be i'll bring it in. thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts