Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the same fork on my Taurine. I haven't noticed any travel when I lock it out. The thing is stiff!

Has it always been this way or is it a new problem? Not that I would have suggestions; just curious if I'll run in to the same problem later.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I roved the rebound knob to tighten the lockout lever down. It was getting loose and sloppy.

I seem to have issues with this bike. I think I need to bleed the front brake already, and the fork has a small knocking noise at the top of it's travel when I climb.

*sigh*

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I've had this happen to me. There's air in the damper cartridge. The cartridge needs to be opened, oil added and then the air bled out. I did not do this work myself, due to lack of the correct tool to remove the damper.

My problem right now is that when the shop rebuilt the shock, and bled out the air, they put something back together wrong. My lockout lever works backwards now. I used to reach back with my left thumb while my hand was on the bar, and pull the lever toward the bar to lock it out, and then have to take my hand off the bar to turn the lockout the other way to open it. Now I have to turn the lever away from the handlebar to lock it out, and toward the bar to open it.

No big deal (or so I thought). Another problem is that now the lockout will close by itself while riding. I will have it open fully (closest to the bar) and after riding for about 1 hour, I realise that the front is really stiff, and look down, and sure enough, the lockout is closed. Craig from Mendon is looking into this for me, but if anyone else has heard of this, and has some input, I would appreciate hearing what you have to say.

This is what I get for not taking the shock off the bike and sending it back to Craig to get if fixed right. I took it to the local Cannondale dealer.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A backwards lockout would kill me. When I stand up on the bike, my knee almost brushes the top of the lefty, so a lever right in the way of an upswingning knee could make for HUGE problems.

Grr. My bike is a month old.

·
mad aussie
1,128 Posts
BlownCivic said:
My problem right now is that when the shop rebuilt the shock, and bled out the air, they put something back together wrong. My lockout lever works backwards now. I used to reach back with my left thumb while my hand was on the bar, and pull the lever toward the bar to lock it out, and then have to take my hand off the bar to turn the lockout the other way to open it. Now I have to turn the lever away from the handlebar to lock it out, and toward the bar to open it.

No big deal (or so I thought). Another problem is that now the lockout will close by itself while riding. I will have it open fully (closest to the bar) and after riding for about 1 hour, I realise that the front is really stiff, and look down, and sure enough, the lockout is closed. Craig from Mendon is looking into this for me, but if anyone else has heard of this, and has some input, I would appreciate hearing what you have to say.
What they did was install the damping shaft in the wrong orientation Its an easy mistake to make, I have done it myself, but they should have noticed at the very least when the Lefty was put back together.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Cypress said:
and the fork has a small knocking noise at the top of it's travel when I climb.*sigh*
Have the same problem with my lefty...its a seal that protects the fork from returning to fully open too quickly...rideable, but it does need to be fixed. I think this should be warranty.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
amillmtb said:
Have the same problem with my lefty...its a seal that protects the fork from returning to fully open too quickly...rideable, but it does need to be fixed. I think this should be warranty.
That sucks. Warranty work for me is non-existent. My local dealer doesn't even know what a Taurine is* let alone know how to diagnose/fix a Lefty properly.

*I really do mean this. On two separate occasions I have gotten a "WTF?" when I told them I had a Taurine.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bumping this thread. My lockout seems to be leaving me.

When I put pressure on the handle bars, the fork slowly sinks. It's like I have an EXTREME amount of compression damping when my fork should be locked out.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It has to be some sort of seal letting oil through. When I compress the locked out strut then let go, the rebound is the same as if it wasn't locked out.

This wouldn't be such a big deal if my local Cannondale shop could actually work on Lefty's.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,427 Posts
Sounds like the lockout seal. Not the technical name, but it's job is that. There's a seal on the lockout piston, that prevents oil form going past during lockout. Sounds as though your baby needs a good run through, despite it age, or, buy a Max, they run forever :D

·
Registered
106 Posts
replace the damper cart. that should fix it. you can pull the entire cartridge apart and relube and top off the oil, but its a hassle, just replace it.

If the lock out lever is oriented wrong, that is an easy fix. remove the red rebound knob (1.5 or 1mm [I always forget] allen to remove the set screw, just back it out a bit and pop off the cap) then remove the lock out lever and flip it 180 degrees.

I cant remember if the lock out lever just pulls out or if there is a nut holding in in place. If there is a nut, use a deep 10mm socket to unscrew the nut, then reinstall the lefty lever with the nut screw back down on top of the lever, just till snug, not super tight.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.