Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a Cannondale newb. Just picked up a used 29er with a lefty.
1- Is there anything special I need to know about installing the front wheel?
2-What is the best way to properly adjust the Lefty? What adjustments are there?

Thanks for helping out.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Make sure you remove the brake caliper and its adapter from the lefty and then unbolt the wheel.

I'm assuming you have a speed dlr2 lefty which has rebound adjust and lockout. You can also change the air pressure using a shock pump on the valve at the bottom of the lefty. As for setup just go for what feels good. Check out Cdale's tech documents to find pressure suitable for your weight.

You will also need to do bearing resets. Here's a good thread to check that out: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=212844[/url

·
Red Rider
148 Posts
Hey Bondseye,

Welcome to the club! A few things about Leftys and Lefty wheels you should know...

1. You need an allen wrench (5mm) to remove and attach the wheel. Do not overtighten the bolt or you'll strip it (very easy for the heavy handed to do). You have to remove the brake caliper to remove the wheel or you will bend the rotor. Good thing is, you don't have to remove the front wheel to change a flat or a tire.

2. A far as adjusting the Lefty, it depends on which one you have. They all have a rebound adjuster (usually the red knob) on the top. Some have adjustments on the bottom and a valve to add air. You probably have an 80mm Lefty Speed of some sort on your 29er and those usually have a rebound adjuster, a lockout and a valve on the bottom to add air so you can tune to your weight or ride preference and you can lock out the Lefty on the smooth long sections of trail or the pavement. Depending on how involved you want to get, you can opt to change the spring to a softer or stiffer one depending on how you like to ride.

3. You will need to purchase a Cannondale specific mount for your bike's computer sensor. You will also need Lefty specific mounts for your roof rack if you want to carry your bike on the roof (a lot of the newer trays and mounts for Yakima and Thule racks don't require you to remove your wheels so this is probably not really and issue. Also doesn't matter if you carry your bike on a trunk rack).

4. You can purchase a multi tool that fits in the steerer tube of the Lefty. Not necessary to have and it will not affect your ride (other than adding a few ounces) but it a cool device and saves space in your hydration pack or pocket.

5. If you're not used to riding one, you may look down a lot at first and be a bit weirded out. Not to worry. Tracks accurately and predictably in the rough stuff. Also rides pretty light so you will find yourself pulling up over logs and rocks effortlessly and wheelieing randomly.

I hope this clarifies some things. Have fun and enjoy your new bike. You're gonna love the way it rides!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sweet, thanks for the tips. I'm going to have my mechanic look it over in the morning then bundle up for a cold winter ride. I just can't wait for warmer weather, the bike is too beautiful.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Spend some quality time looking at the official Cannondale website for the year of your bike (i.e. Search "cannondale 2007" will take you there) as well as the tech document sections.

They have a load of quality information.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.