Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking at the posts and personnel experience, lefties seem to have some issues. Are they unreliable, need more TLC, etc.

I ask because looking at a rush i could buy a 400 and upgrade the rear shock, or get a 600 with a leftie.

also what is the wheel choice like, i have seen mavics on the higher end bikes, are these custom, or is it some simple axle change thing?

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
Since it's the Cannondale forum, when people do have issue with their Lefty, they post over here. Go over to the Shocks and forks forum and you'll see every fork model can have issue. Leftys are very reliable, bombproof, and once you take a spin on one, you'll understand how far ahead they are to anything they compete against.

As for wheels you need a Lefty compatible hub, that's it. You can build it with any rim and spoke you like. You can get Crossmax SL, Industry Nine and other high end wheels for a Lefty. As an added bonus, the lefty axle/hub interface makes them quite stiffer than any QR hub out there.

EDIT: 3,333rd post! :eek:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Only thing with lefty's is bearing migration which is a very simple 3-5 min bearing reset. And of course just regular maintenance such as with any fork.. Other than that, they are awesome!! They have no stiction whatsoever such as reg. forks and are very stiff laterally and stiff as far as front to back movement also. Very smooth suspension travel. I just got some DT 5.1 rims laced with 14g straight spokes put on my prophet and had the front one laced to the existing lefty hub. VERY, VERY stiff front wheel. Go ride one and see what you think for yourself. You might impressed with the lefty as most people are.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this bearing migration is it really a problem? is it every fork, or only some? how easy are the forks to service, i wouldn't trust the local cannondale dealer with a £10 special, let alone a bike of any value.

·
Registered
360 Posts
mrmo,

If you're looking at the Rush 600, then I don't think you will find a better stock fork at that bike price ($1,600). Most bikes at that price come with a lower end Marzocchi, Rock Shox, or Manitou. And I would rank the DLR2 above any of those--it's the same fork they put on the $2,600 model. But that's just one Cannondale convert's opinion. ;)

I had a little problem at first with the Lefty leaking oil, but Cannondale fixed this with a seal upgrade. And since then, zero problems.

I've had my Rush 600 for 4 months now, ride trails 4-5 days per week, and am still amazed that "half a fork" can hold a line so well under my 6'5" 230 lb. frame.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts