Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
fight the system
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been searching this forum for a while and found some good stuff but I am more confused than ever as to what will work best for me. I’m looking for a long lasting LED medium to wide angle light to mount on my handlebars for climbing so I can turn my HID light off. I scraped by at Steamboat Springs 24hr with just a Petzl Tikka hiking headlamp tapped to my bars for the long climb but I know I can do better. I need at least 10 hours min burn time and would prefer more for my other planned summer event. I’d like to use regular batteries but they have to last one night cause I don’t want to stop to change them.

Most of what I found is info on really powerful LED lights with only a few hours of burn time. Can anyone offer suggestions for my situation?

·
Registered
689 Posts
For about 150 you can get a Cygolite Dual Cross 300. 9 hrs run time on the low setting, 4 hrs on high. Not that much difference in output between the two. Plenty of light for climbing. I have 2 friends w/ this light and an surprised w/ it for the money considering run times and output. Realistically, about like a really good 15w spot halogen but whiter color. Though it looks like more of a spot, it does have some peripheral light too.

MB

·
Caveman
1,003 Posts
Look into a Petzl Myo 5 belt headlamp. It uses 4 C cells, with either 5 Led's or a bulb with about 8hrs burn time on bright. The burn time on the LED's is like 100+hrs with the c cells!

The Led's are awesome for winter night riding (with snow on the ground) , and the main bulb will get you where you need to go on summer rides.

Ok I just checked, the C-cell version is not available anymore it seems, check ebay maybe but here it is:

http://en.petzl.com/petzl/LampesProduits?Produit=520

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
There are some lights here with 14-24 hour run times claimed. I have no experience with them, we were just geeking over their SuperNova tail light. ;)

·
Registered
278 Posts
cateye doubleshot has a 5hr burn. if you're only using it part of the time it might do the trick. or if you are handy you can build you own...i did it! the one i made is less of a climbing light and more of a 'oh my god thats bright' LED light. 4 LEDs, 8AAs and 4 power settings....should get 12+ hrs on the lowest setting....

·
fight the system
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the feedback so far. The DinNotte seems like an amazing light but i dont want to carry the girth of C's or D cell batteries. the cateye may be ok but i'd rather have a light with a little less power that i dont have to worry about draining on me. My first thought was if i could find something like a Black Diamond Icon light but designed for my bike.
http://www.backcountry.com/store/BLD1034/Black-Diamond-Icon-Headlamp.html
Or even an all in one commuter LED light because thats what I really want, a self contained light that will just keep on going. I was thinking the Vega but A: it will only burn for 8hr on low and B: i cant change the batteries.
When i have to see i've got all the light i need with the HID. I've thought about making my own but right now I dont have the time. After working and training there isnt much left. Luckily I can use the internet at work and do this though, just dont tell my boss:thumbsup:
keep the suggestions coming.

·
fight the system
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HomeGrownSS,
I was looking at that Cateye EL520 and was also curious about the EL530. Do you have feel for what the EL520 would be like compared to the Petzl Tikka?

·
Caveman
1,003 Posts
Just a guess but I think anything Cateye makes would be better than a Tikka, Tikka's are made for backpacking, reading etc. My attempts biking with one was short lived.

I know the Myo5 has a much broader and wider angle than the original 5 led cateye opticube. The design of the cateye has changed since though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.