Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a lightweight pair of knee pads that offer protection for the sides of your knees.I'm leaning toward Leatt Airflex Pro's. I like the G Forms but they don't look like they would wrap around enough for side coverage.
Thoughts on the Leatt's ? Or maybe recommend something else?

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,512 Posts
I have both the 7IDP Sam Hill's (burly enduro pads) and Leatt AirFlex Pro's
I like both of these very much. the 7IDPs are my 'race' pads, and my cold weather pads.
I wear my Leatt pads 2/3 of the time- even riding black diamond stuff.
I live in Phoenix and ride year round, even in trip-digit temps. I wear knee pads EVERY ride, regardless of temps. All knee pads are hot, but these breathe very very well for knee pads.
I've (lightly) crash tested them, but its the desert- even a minor fall leaves people looking like they lost a fight with a cheese grater. I've never worried about coverage or protection with these on.

100% would recommend AirFlex's for general trail riding.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
6,610 Posts
Yea, I find the Leatt's to be comfortable enough to actually wear in Arizona. When I've actually used them, they've worked well enough. On cooler days, they're like wearing knee warmers.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I have a pair and had a pretty bad crash on my first ride in them. They don’t offer a ton of protection, but it’s much better than nothing, and pedaling 20 miles in them doesn’t feel bad at all. I also recently bought the airflex hybrid model with a hard cap for a bit more protection. Have yet to ride in them.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I like Demon United's knee pads. They're open in the back, so they have decent airflow, and I wear them on every ride, even in triple digit weather. You can also get 20% off your first order by signing up for their newsletter. They do run on the smaller side, so if you're close or in between on their size guide, I would recommend sizing up. I also own a pair of G Forms with the shin guards, but have only worn them a couple times, I was surprised how hot they run, even sitting inside in the AC.

·
Freezer
671 Posts
I have the Leatt Airflex Pros and like them a lot. I've bought a lot of different brands of pads and body armor, and to me Leatt stands out as the most intelligently designed protection gear in the market. The Airflex Pros have good side protection, and importantly, good bar protection on the top of the knee. The one issue I've had with them is that the bottom part of the main knee pad can roll over the bottom cuff and dig into your shin a bit (you can actually see that in Impetus' photo), so you may need to reposition the pads periodically. Other than that, they're about perfect for non-hardshell pads.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I've been using the Leatt Airflex Pro since April. I really like them, had a few falls in them and they work well enough. Last year I was using some of the Leatt 5.0 pads I think, much burlier but much warmer. Of all the knee pads I've used I've been most pleased with Leatt. They fit well and stay in place well, any other pads I've had have been more of an annoyance, the Leatt pads go on and I don't generally have to think about them until I take them off at the end of a ride.

·
EDR
10,792 Posts
I've got the leatt airflex pro and also ride in phoenix. Although mine fit pretty tight they are still plenty comfortable to pedal in, even in the heat. Don't get me wrong when it's hot out here any knee pad just makes you that much hotter but they seem like a good compromise of decent protection and lightweight breathability. I absolutely did not want a hard shell pad. These are good overall trail riding pads.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.