Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is a better tool for cycling purposes? I want to get a multi-tool but not sure which type to get. I already have a cycling specific multi-tool with allen keys, flat and philips heads, but I've found that another tool is required for trailside repairs, like removing a thorn from the tire after getting a flat (happened to me last night).

I'm just wondering which tool is better for all sorts of other situations a rider may encounter while out in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a few different multi- tools and my favorite is the victorinox swiss tool. I think it's better quality than any of the others. Check one out- you'll be impressed.

precar said:
Which is a better tool for cycling purposes? I want to get a multi-tool but not sure which type to get. I already have a cycling specific multi-tool with allen keys, flat and philips heads, but I've found that another tool is required for trailside repairs, like removing a thorn from the tire after getting a flat (happened to me last night).

I'm just wondering which tool is better for all sorts of other situations a rider may encounter while out in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
571 Posts
You can find a similar Swiss knife that offers Leatherman tools, so in the end it's kind of a personal thing.

I chose a Leatherman. I find the pliers easier to use, as easy as a full time plier. The Swiss pliers on the model I tried was not as easy to use, keep in mind that there are MANY models of Swiss knives, so it could've been just the model I tried.

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Hard call, have always used swiss army knives, but the butty leatherman I have now, I have been well impressed with. There are so many Swiss Army Knives now a days, am sure when I was a weena, there were not that many.

The build for me in regards to the leatherman is great. Agree also with the last post, the pliers are real pliers that can get busy on things....

Hard choice really.................Like females really............

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Swiss Army knife...ok for 1980...

Leatherman, good for present, most tools and usablity, quite a few different models (vice grips, locking blades, etc...)

·
Registered
184 Posts
I carry a leatherman wave and a crank bros. multi 17. I chose the leatherman the pliers, handle comfort, and also has a wire cutter that has come in handy to cut off popped spokes. Theres almost nothing one can't fix trailside with the two tools I mentioned.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just want to throw it out there that I think you get way more bang for your buck with a Swiss Army knife. If you go on their website you'll see they have hundreds of different knives and if decide on one they will reccomend an online store you can buy it at.

·
uofabill
213 Posts
I'm goin' with the Leatherman too,

I have always carried a Leatherman, now a Leatherman Wave. But only on real epics. To me the Leatherman products are serious tools compared to the Swiss Army knives that just feel and seem to be more flimsy.

·
wait a minute....
216 Posts
swiss tool

i have both and the swiss tool is much better built. it is also twice as heavy.

·
Old Enough to Know Better
158 Posts
Leatherman = fairly serious tool.

Swiss Army = dang good pocket knife.

The Leatherman Wave is my personal favorite for a multi-tool, but I often carry a Swiss Army knife to the office for normal life stuff.

If you really can't decide what you want, look at the Leatherman Juice Pro. It's kind of a Leatherman Wave, but smaller, built along the size of a Swiss Army knife. Still has good pliers, etc, just not as robust as the Wave.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I agree

rather_large_ben said:
I have a few different multi- tools and my favorite is the victorinox swiss tool. I think it's better quality than any of the others. Check one out- you'll be impressed.
The Victorinox Swiss Tool is better than the Leatherman.

http://www.swiss-knife.com/EN/sk/works/swisstools.html

I don't think too many ppl are aware of these. Most think that the Swiss Army knifes are puny compared to the Leatherman. Which is true. But not the Swiss Tools which match up quite well against the Leathermans...

·
uofabill
213 Posts
I'm with you Grampa!

Grampa said:
Leatherman = fairly serious tool.

Swiss Army = dang good pocket knife.

The Leatherman Wave is my personal favorite for a multi-tool, but I often carry a Swiss Army knife to the office for normal life stuff.

If you really can't decide what you want, look at the Leatherman Juice Pro. It's kind of a Leatherman Wave, but smaller, built along the size of a Swiss Army knife. Still has good pliers, etc, just not as robust as the Wave.
I guess this is one of those discussions that gets down to, "that's why they make Fords and Chevy's." or "why they make Specialized and Trek." But for my $, if I'm going to be " out there" and might need a "tool" it's gonna be the Leatherman for me.
There are other quality multi-tools, Gerber being one, SOG, haven't seen the Spyderco but their knives are top quality, but the Leatherman was the original multi-tool, not a many bladed pocket knife.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.