Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Ovaries on the Outside
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I've been putting extended miles, beyond normal commuting, on the road. I have one bike with a Brooks Professional and the cross bike with something Specialized. I've been riding the cross bike because of the terrain I'm riding and my taint is certainly worse for wear and I'm thinking it is time to get another leather saddle because they are so damned comfortable.

I started looking and I see that there are several leather saddle manufacturers out there- Cardiff, Velo Orange, among others. But the reviews are lacking. I'll likely get another Brooks because I know I like them, but I think it would be handy to have a comprehensive thread that discusses some personal experiences with the saddles.

Get crackin'. When I have time I'll post a review of the Pro.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I was given a well used, 30 year old Wrights saddle a year ago. By well used, I mean that the friend that kicked it down has ridden multiple thousands of miles on it (Seattle to Mexico and back tours), and he was not the original owner.
Had it on a Nomad, then on my city bike. It's off now, waiting for the end of salt on the road season.
Even though it was broken in for someone else, it conformed to me really quickly.
I'm sold on leather for long days in the saddle, and this Wrights has proven it's durability.

eta- The only reason it came off of the Nomad was that I moved to the East Coast and the style of riding is so much different than Santa Cruz/Ashland.
On the west coast, the vast majority of rides would be a long climb, stop at the top to pad up, drop the post and ride down, with my hips rarely behind the saddle.
In the Hudson valley of NY, the riding is much more short steep up and short steep down, and I found the tail edge of the Wrights to be pretty sharp when trying to move back and forth with a fully extended seatpost.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.