Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, what is the cheapest, most affordable full suspension 29er out there? I know Walmart doesn't make them (yet) so there seems to be a premium to pay to get that type of 29er.

I've happily owned cheap European hypermarket branded FS 26" MTB in the past, to play around with. I'd like to do the same before jumping in the 29er market and spending too much dough on something i might end up selling in the end (at a loss).

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vermont29er said:
Salsa Spearfish $2250 msrp
Giant Anthem X29 3 $2350 msrp
That's what I figured so far: over 2000$ for a bike. I paid under a grand for a brand new Giant FS 5" travel bike with hydraulic disc brakes and Deore components a few years ago. They really are asking a premium for their 29er frames.

And no, I'm not looking to build my bike.

·
Cars Are Evil
1,125 Posts
Even a few years ago, under a $1000 does not buy a quality full-suspension bike. There had to be some major corners cut to get that price that low. The premium for 29er is only a couple hundred bucks at most.

·
Trying not to kill myself
391 Posts
Vermont29er said:
Salsa Spearfish $2250 msrp
Giant Anthem X29 3 $2350 msrp
The Specialized Camber Elite 29er has a MSRP of $2150. It might be your best bet of getting a 2011 model out the door for under 2 grand. Around here I've seen a couple of 2010 GF HiFi Pros still hanging around in the $1700-$1800 range. Good deal at that price if you can find one.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vermont29er said:
Even a few years ago, under a $1000 does not buy a quality full-suspension bike. There had to be some major corners cut to get that price that low. The premium for 29er is only a couple hundred bucks at most.
I see. It was a Giant DS-1 and has been the best bike I've owned. Perhaps many readers around here are pro racers, and not many are people like me that go to the mountain 2-3 times per month to get fresh air, get the adrenaline pumping, having fun without feeling the need to wear gear for body protection in single tracks and downhill.

If you think a grand doesn't buy a good FS bike, then let me ask you: do you wear protective gear? :cool:

·
Banned
19,198 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
UnderWurlde said:
I see. It was a Giant DS-1 and has been the best bike I've owned. Perhaps many readers around here are pro racers, and not many are people like me that go to the mountain 2-3 times per month to get fresh air, get the adrenaline pumping, having fun without feeling the need to wear gear for body protection in single tracks and downhill.

If you think a grand doesn't buy a good FS bike, then let me ask you: do you wear protective gear? :cool:
I wear a helmet, and I don't think $1k buys a good FS bike. At that price I would MUCH rather buy a lightly used HT that is 2-3 years old.

And that is coming from a guy riding the cheapest FS 29er frame you can buy.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Correlation: the more you take the sport seriously, the more chances you'll take on the trail, the more you'll want to feel protected by gear, the more you'll be willing to spend on a bike so it wont break while taking those chances.

So for those who go riding 3-4 times per week and keep pushing the limits of their bike, I can understand they'll want to invest in their bikes. Same logic displayed here will go with a tennis fanatic who tells me a good racquet is minimum 1000$.... without paying attention to the fact that i might just play a few times per year.

So, the person telling me that a bike under a grand is **** probably takes his sport very seriously, and probably isn't in the same league as i am. I probably couldn't tell the difference between a 1000$ and a 6000$ bike if i could test such bikes in the wild.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
UnderWurlde said:
I probably couldn't tell the difference between a 1000$ and a 6000$ bike if i could test such bikes in the wild.
Be assured that you can tell the difference between a $200.00 bike and a $1000.00 bike . Buying the cheapest anything rarely equates getting a good value . Buy good stuff once .

·
Trying not to kill myself
391 Posts
UnderWurlde said:
So, the person telling me that a bike under a grand is **** probably takes his sport very seriously, and probably isn't in the same league as i am. I probably couldn't tell the difference between a 1000$ and a 6000$ bike if i could test such bikes in the wild.
A fact is a fact and it doesn't have anything to do with what 'league' anybody is in. As you've seen from the prices in this thread, reputable companies don't make FS 29ers for under a grand. Some of that is due to the popularity of 29ers, but it's mostly due to the fact that they'd have to cut too many corners and make a subpar product. Even if you widen your search to 26" bikes, there simply aren't many options in that price range. It's not a matter of everyone here being racers and trying to steer you towards an expensive race bike. Like it or not, this hobby isn't cheap.

Your tennis racquet analogy really isn't a good one. If your racquet breaks in the middle of your game, you just borrow one or play the game another day. If you get a bike that isn't made of good components, at best you'll be looking at repair bills and long walks back to the trailhead. At worst you'll be in the hospital with injuries sustained when parts failed at a critical moment. That's why the general recommendation is to go with a hardtail if you're looking to spend under a grand.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Underwurlde, Motobecane is working on a full suspension 29er, this will most likely be the cheapest FS 29er available, without buying used.

Of course you can buy used, last week I saw a Gary Fisher Sugar 293 on craigslist for $650, that is a good 29er at a decent price.

My question is, if you are happy with your Giant DS, why buy something else?

·
Cars Are Evil
1,125 Posts
UnderWurlde said:
Yeah, I do take my lifestyle seriously :)

I'm fairly sure you'd be able to tell the difference between a $1000 bike and even a $2000 bike. There'd be a big difference in weight and the more expensive one would feel significantly faster. And for those who actually ride their bikes regularly the longevity of the components will be much better.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
Remember people........he said that the Giant Warp DS-1 is the best bike he has ever ridden. That is saying a lot about his experience......or lack there of.

To the OP:

Many of the major manufacturers make 26" FS rigs under $1k......but for the money you are better off on a $700-900 hardtail.

Shop I used to work at sold Giant & KHS as their low level bikes.......KHS sold a $699 FS 4" travel bike. Weighed in at 35 lbs.....non adjustable suspension, 21 speeds, single pivot design. For the same money, you could get into a HT that weighs 6-7 lbs lighter with better components, adjustable suspension.

29ers are the same. 29er HT's under $1k are out there......just need to look for them.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.