Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never been hard around corners on my local trails, but want to improve on it and ask for some advice.

I'm planning on practicing on a small dry, slightly loose dirt flat section where I just go round and round. So I think it's best to lean the bike with most of my weight on the outside pedal, and pushing on the handlebar during the turn? Or do you turn like a motorcyclist with the bike more upright and your body leaning into the turn? Also, do riders unclip their inner pedal in case they need the inside foot as an outrigger? I feel less stable during a turn with it unclipped, and concentrating on keeping it from accidentally clipping back in.

I have an inherent fear of...adrenaline :blush: Will gradually turning harder and harder get me used to the "rush" like you do when the front tire slips a little?

Thanks.

·
Underskilled
4,749 Posts
everyone has their personal preference, as long as almost all of your weight is on the outside pedal you would struggle to go far wrong.

I outrig when I need too, but ride flats, clipping back in at speed is hard on clippies.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Weight on the outside pedal, push the bars down, get over the front, and depending on the type of turn, lean with the bike.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
managedenemy said:
Find a clinic in your area that teaches this they will be glad to help you learn more advanced skills.
Hmm never heard of clinics. Thought you were referring to a doctor when I first read it lol. A quick search got me SFBC, an SF advocacy group that does mention offering riding classes. But not really sure if they're willing to teach mildly aggressive off-road or trail cornering :D

Going to look at some vids and see if I can grasp something from them as well.

·
Registered
95 Posts
biomanz said:
Hmm never heard of clinics. Thought you were referring to a doctor when I first read it lol. A quick search got me SFBC, an SF advocacy group that does mention offering riding classes. But not really sure if they're willing to teach mildly aggressive off-road or trail cornering :D

Going to look at some vids and see if I can grasp something from them as well.
BikeSkills.com has clinics if they happen to be close.
I'm near Dallas, Tx and we have dorba( dallas offroad bike assoc) and if you post up on dorba2.com they might be able to help you or find a clinic too.
Also try putting the first letter of your city then orba.com; this might pull up a local bike community.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
biomanz said:
I've never been hard around corners on my local trails, but want to improve on it and ask for some advice.

I'm planning on practicing on a small dry, slightly loose dirt flat section where I just go round and round. So I think it's best to lean the bike with most of my weight on the outside pedal, and pushing on the handlebar during the turn? Or do you turn like a motorcyclist with the bike more upright and your body leaning into the turn? Also, do riders unclip their inner pedal in case they need the inside foot as an outrigger? I feel less stable during a turn with it unclipped, and concentrating on keeping it from accidentally clipping back in.

I have an inherent fear of...adrenaline :blush: Will gradually turning harder and harder get me used to the "rush" like you do when the front tire slips a little?

Thanks.
The answer to all of your questions is "yes".

Yes at times it is more appropriate to lean the body and keep the bike upright.
Yes at other times it is more appropriate to lean the bike and keep the body upright.
You'll take some corners with the outside pedal weighted and down and others with the pedals at 3 and 9.

Yes, just like getting used to speed, easing up on your cornering will help you get over the "fear". You'll also get a feel for the proper body english for each corner, of course this changes as your speed changes.

If you can get a copy, check out the cornering section of Lee McCormick and Brian Lopes' book.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
You've got the right idea about cornering.

I would also add that tread pattern and tire pressure, make a difference in how aggressive you can corner in given conditions. If you've got the right tire, for the right conditions, you can really rip around corners, but if it's wrong, your tires will break loose.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Turning varies with the type of ground, but for normal compact and mildly loose top soil I would recommend keeping leaning the bike to a minimum. You want to keep as many of the knobbies of your tire in contact with the ground.

And yes, putting more weight on your outside pedal will give more directionaly straight down force to the ground when leaning.

Looser soil you can lean slightly more. I'v learned that opening up your inside leg slightly gives you more of an axis point to turn around, rather than "steering" the bike with your arms.

Turn your shoulders to where you are turning and look at where you want to go.....most of the time your bike will have a tendancy to naturally follow.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm having some trouble deciding whether to lean the bike or myself. If I lean the bike more, it seems easier to control a skid, but might break traction if the tire is angled too much with the ground. Lean my body more, and I keep the tires more squarely on the ground, but once it skids I'll drop to the ground.

Or should I just KISS and lean with the bike..

·
Registered
476 Posts
I feel that when I lean with the bike, the turn is faster... a problem I have too is I can turn pretty aggresively to the left, but when it comes to turning right, my body has very little idea on how to do it lol... its weird.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
OSOK said:
I feel that when I lean with the bike, the turn is faster... a problem I have too is I can turn pretty aggresively to the left, but when it comes to turning right, my body has very little idea on how to do it lol... its weird.
i used to do that, it comes with experiance

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OSOK said:
Same for me too! It's almost twice as difficult making a slow, tight turn to the right as going left.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts