Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Intermediate wannabe
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the Edge 705 back in the fall. I've used it a half dozen times mostly tracking my ride data and then loading it to trainingpeaks. I know there is much more functionality to this unit and I have much to learn. The next thing I'd like to attempt, if possible, is to load a map of a trail system and use it to determine where I am if I get lost. Is this possible? I figure if I carry the paper map and then reference the Edge for my current location I should be able to find my way.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,314 Posts
Yes. It's possible.

www.gpsfiledepot.com will set you up with a tutorial on how to make your trail network into a transparent .img overlay you can put in your GPS on top of a topo map.

There's a video in here (it's probably still on the first page) that a guy put together to show how to make such a trail network routable, even.

·
Intermediate wannabe
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Nate. I'm going to try the gpsfiledepot link. I've seen it before. Hopefully a tech lightweight like me can figure it out.

I just know that this 705 unit can do a whole lot more than I currently use it for and I am interested in exploring some of the other functionality.

Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.