Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 62 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts

Hi there.
Since I started jumping I struggle with the same problem. I think I know in which stage of the jump my problem lies but nobody can tell me how to get this bad habit away.
please check my little Video from today.
as far I think, everything goes fine until sec 5.
come in in a straight position - crouch down - preload the bike - as soon the ramp start pull back with your body until the arms are straight (similar to the manual or bunny hop impulse).

Then suddenly, instead of getting the arm fully straighten and pop up into the air with the help of the legs, the arms suck up the whole energy.
This results in a falling frontwheel and a OTB feeling or the jump will be just way too low to clear any gap.
how can avoid to suck the whole energy just at the end of the jump.
Is it just a fear in my head? Or I am just to late at this stage of the ramp? Should I start the hole movement a little bit earlier?
Any exercise you can recommend?

Thanks for your help.
I need to hurry with this, otherwise my 7year old boy will pass me very soon 😀
As someone who just learned jumping recently, here is my observation. You jumped a bit early. It seems to be a common things for beginner. You need to keep loading until the rear wheel leaves the lip. In the video it looks like you finished jumping at about 7s but your rear wheel still has another almost 3s to go before leaving the lip. Take what I said with a grain of salt as I am no expert.

·
Registered
15,736 Posts
Also, your ramp loo

Hi there.
Since I started jumping I struggle with the same problem. I think I know in which stage of the jump my problem lies but nobody can tell me how to get this bad habit away.
please check my little Video from today.
as far I think, everything goes fine until sec 5.
come in in a straight position - crouch down - preload the bike - as soon the ramp start pull back with your body until the arms are straight (similar to the manual or bunny hop impulse).

Then suddenly, instead of getting the arm fully straighten and pop up into the air with the help of the legs, the arms suck up the whole energy.
This results in a falling frontwheel and a OTB feeling or the jump will be just way too low to clear any gap.
how can avoid to suck the whole energy just at the end of the jump.
Is it just a fear in my head? Or I am just to late at this stage of the ramp? Should I start the hole movement a little bit earlier?
Any exercise you can recommend?

Thanks for your help.
I need to hurry with this, otherwise my 7year old boy will pass me very soon 😀
Another thing: your jump looks to be shorter than your bike, which makes the timing of your loading a bit tricky. You should load the bike all the way through the face of the jump but in this case your front tire leaves the face before you have a chance to load the rear.

If you can find a larger tabletop type jump somewhere in which the face of the jump is longer than your bike then learning will be easier. Even though the jump would be larger than your plastic one you don't have to send it to the moon. Just go fast enough to leave the ground but practice loading throughout the entire face of the jump.

61 - 62 of 62 Posts