Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, not the kind that people do when faced with a Bear.....

I'd pay the lift ticket fee for a couple of days to learn drop skills. Is WP the best one for that or does another park have a better play setup?

I really don't want to be life-flighted out so no double blacks on my first couple of days (or ever) but I'd really like to learn how to safely and consistently drop off 2-3 feet and not grind my head into the ground like a drill rig or freak out and bail.

If not a DH park, is there another area/park close to Denver where one could practice in relative safety.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice- I love the area for XC so I can spend a few hours in the Baby-Biker zone. Does the starter drop zone have drops over two feet? I'd hate to show up to 12" drops and find myself surrounded by 5 year olds laughing at me :eek:

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
joelalamo45 is right. To learn drops you go WP first. They have a starter drop zone (nothing bigger than a foot) to learn the basic move.

Next you can hit the DH run. Towards the bottom - right after the first wall ride - you'll find a short but steep transition. This allows you to practice dropping in.

<Important technical advice: lower the seat post so the saddle is not in the way>

Step three is to hit the one foot drop into a long transition in the skills park (located right at the slope style course). One you can do that one you are ready for honing the skills in Keystone's drop zone. Nothing there is under 4 feet.

Now - before you hit WP and shell out $$ for a ticket give them a call and check which of the above is actually open. Sunday the starter drop zone as well as the one foot drop in the skills park were both closed. On second thoughts - if you ride XC there anyway... all three features are easily acceessible from the bottom. Maybe you won't even need a ticket.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Check out LeeLikesBikes. That link will take you to his "skills/training" category. Peruse at your leisure for topics pertaining to you. Lots of good info. OR you could always pick up his book and/or do a class with him. All of them are totally worth it if you love to ride. It's not an expense, it's an investment! :thumbsup: :D

·
enlightened.
1,494 Posts
joelalamo45 said:
There's that 2-3 footer on Boot Camp that is definitely open and a good starter drop...
This always cracks me up. 2-3ft to someone who is new to drops is a lot. While it is easy to an experienced huckster, this is a terrifying amount to someone new to drops.

like me.

·
Slopestyle Rider
2,448 Posts
Ok so I went and checked out the drop zone learner park at WP... It's open and looks fun. There are 4 drops. One 1' drop/A-frame that has a backside to it so you can roll it. There is also a 2' drop/A-frame that has the ability to be rolled. Then there is a straight 1' drop that you have to actually do the drop (no ability to roll it) and a 2 - 2 1/2' drop. All features are open as we speak. I'll post up pics later. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sweet- pics would provide huge motivation to suck up the gas cost and drive there pronto. I'll head that way very soon though. I have to do this and get comfortable with it.

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
athalliah said:
This always cracks me up. 2-3ft to someone who is new to drops is a lot. While it is easy to an experienced huckster, this is a terrifying amount to someone new to drops.

like me.
Aren't there 2 foot drops at such pedestrian places as White Ranch? Waterbars, anyone?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Lee Rocks

SylentK said:
Check out LeeLikesBikes. That link will take you to his "skills/training" category. Peruse at your leisure for topics pertaining to you. Lots of good info. OR you could always pick up his book and/or do a class with him. All of them are totally worth it if you love to ride. It's not an expense, it's an investment! :thumbsup: :D
I've taken a course with Lee and recommend him. When you think of how much you spend on equipment, the cost of his class is merely a drop in the bucket. He's very patient but excited about riding and breaks down the core skills needed to progress.

A few hours with Lee will greatly improve your riding.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Debaser said:
Aren't there 2 foot drops at such pedestrian places as White Ranch? Waterbars, anyone?
lol good point! What about in your neighborhood or own yard? Decks and landscape tiers are fun to practice drop off's. Stairs are good for "rock garden" practice. Try going up as well as down. Curb hucks and hops are never a bad thing. I even do "skinnys" on my landscaping bricks. THere's plenty of opportunity for practice if you have an imagination!

Just don't get hurt "hucking curbs". ;) Or at least don't tell anyone! :eek:

·
enlightened.
1,494 Posts
Debaser said:
Are those pinkbike units of measurement? I've never considered a water bar to be a drop.

When I hear 3 ft drop this is what I envision. This is big and scary to me:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.