Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my new (used off ebay) 6 way leaks oil out of the high speed and low speed knobs after a hard day of ridding. not allot, just like a film of oil around them. what needs to be done? send it to the company, replace the O rings (if any)? can I do it myself? thanks for your help.

·
Beyond the stars
745 Posts
Leaking, what's up with that?

you got the spv chamber cranked all the way down? and the high-speed compression and rebound, cranked in? leaving no place for oil to go on heavy pressure, but past the seals?

Might be O-Rings, might need a rebuild? Sorry can't help much.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I noticed the same problem with my 6-way on my demo 9. I am not sure the problem. Right now it is a very light film that dust collects on. I may call manitou and check on just to be sure.

-tmoney

·
Registered
226 Posts
I just got off the phone with manitou and they said the same thing. They have seen 2004 models leak, but the 2005 models seem to not be leaking. Take your shock to your local shop and have them get that thing sent in for warranty.

-tmoney

·
Registered
429 Posts
How does it feel? There really isn't that much oil in that shock. I've seen two of them blow, and not much oil leaked out.

You might want to slow the rebound all the way down and compress the shock, if springs back really slow you might be okay. On the other hand, you may consider taking it to your local Manitou dealer to have them look at it.

Typically, there is no question when a rear shock blows; you basically just lose the rebound...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.