Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably a dumb question but here goes: Trying to convert my gravel bike to tubeless and the rim seams are leaking. They are Bontrager TLR rims that have the spoke holes sealed and should be tubeless ready but both wheels are leaking at the seams in the rims. Have new tubeless ready 700/40 tires. Can I add my Stans in there and swoosh the wheel around to get that seam leak to stop or is it a lost cause and I need new wheels?

·
g=9.764m/s2
807 Posts
Try taping the seam walls. I had one that I thought the same and taped the walls but still leaked. Figured out the issue was a booger weld that prevented the tire bead from seating. Using a needle file I smoothed the weld all the way up to the lip and that fixed it. Also make sure the factory seam tape is adhered well with no ripples to allow air to seep out.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Bontrager TLR rims are designed to use a molded plastic rim strip and o-ring type valve stem. This works great and is bulletproof. IMO, this is the best tubeless setup of all. Is this what you have?

·
Registered
662 Posts
I've had rims leak at the rim seam and they do eventually seal but it's always bothered me because aluminum rims flex a bit and I'm worried that if it flexes at just the right spot it may break that seal. Probably overthinking it, but I've run a very thin bead of JB Weld on the inside of the seam.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.