Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed out my seals and replaced them with Enduros. Everything went smoothly and the directions from the Enduro website were perfect. I took my bike out for its first ride today and noticed that I was getting enough fork oil build up on my stantion that it was dripping down it. Anyone have any idea why this might happen? Do the seals have a "break-in" period? Just seemed a little odd to me (and disappointing).

G

·
Probably not the seals fault. What kind of fork are we talking about.

Did you make sure to build up the exactly the way you took it apart. There is probably some piece of the fork that is not sitting correctly inside the fork.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fox Float 100R. I followed the steps one by one. The only thing I could think is that the inner seal isn't sitting correctly. But if the inner seal isnt sitting correctly wouldnt the wiper seal not sit correctly either. I know that you are supposed to get residual oil on your stantions for lubrication but how much is too much?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could be

Could be but I highly doubt it. I was anal about making sure that thing was pristene when I put it back together. I will continue to ride and see what happens. If it continues leaking I will try a reinstall. Its just weird.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But...

If one of the Enduro parts wasn't seated correctly wouldn't I be getting an increased amount of stiction? I guess I can double check and make sure my inner seals are installed correctly and not upside down.

·
otb club member
3,080 Posts
KonaHeriot said:
Could be but I highly doubt it. I was anal about making sure that thing was pristene when I put it back together. I will continue to ride and see what happens. If it continues leaking I will try a reinstall. Its just weird.
I'm assuming you don't know that they're guaranteed since I have not heard from you... In general, when you have a problem with a product, start with the supplier. We can't help you or provide replacements if we don't hear from you. Don't bother re-installing the same seals. The inner oil seal could have been torn when the lowers were installed onto the stanchions. It's also possible that not all the oil was drained out of the damper (leading to overfilling). As previously mentioned, debris under the seal is also possible. It could be a tolerance issue on either the fork or maybe on the oil seal. Anyway, a replacement kit is just an email away.

·
SALLGUD
449 Posts
WOW! That sounds like impressive, common sense CS. I have been putting off replacing the seals on both of my Fox Vanillas ('05 models, one R, one RLC) but I am getting real sick of having the back side of the lowers completely saturated by the end of every ride. Heading off to Tsali for a week of fun starting tomorrow but I will be in touch when I get back.

Michael

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I figured out what went wrong. After some correspondence with Chris from Enduro I seem to think that my leaking seals are from too much oil in the fork. Because my fork doesnt have specific instructions from Enduro I had no idea that I needed to drain the oil in the damper also. This probably led to my fork having 20-30cc too much oil. The seals did their job fine but they are not designed to hold in too much oil. Enduro said that they would send out a new set for nothing. Customer service is unbeatable from Enduro and now that I figured out that I am a retard, I am looking forward to getting the new seals CORRECTLY on my bike.

·
Bad Hand In Life
154 Posts
I have Enduro Seals on my Psylo. I wouldn't worry even if the replacements you're getting happen to leak. Mine leaked a bit for the first few weeks, and then stopped and worked perfectly. But, the LBS that has done all my fork work screwed something up, and the fork broke internally and extrenally. So, only got to put about 3 months into the Enduro's, great while the fork lasted.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
I changed seals on a fox Float 100RLC last week. I used some information from enduro-seals, but mostly used the fox guide, which has some great information on oil levels and the such. Best course of action when doing these types of things is to get ALL your information before you start doing anything. That means you need to know what oil volume to fill the fork back up to. My oil-seal change with the float 100 went fine, and just to show you what a spread of info and research can do; I nailed the oil volumes with the fox literature, and I machined flats into the damper rod via the enduro literature.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Chris2fur said:
I'm assuming you don't know that they're guaranteed since I have not heard from you... In general, when you have a problem with a product, start with the supplier. We can't help you or provide replacements if we don't hear from you. Don't bother re-installing the same seals. The inner oil seal could have been torn when the lowers were installed onto the stanchions. It's also possible that not all the oil was drained out of the damper (leading to overfilling). As previously mentioned, debris under the seal is also possible. It could be a tolerance issue on either the fork or maybe on the oil seal. Anyway, a replacement kit is just an email away.
That's one of the reasons why I recommend them to everyone! Thanks Chris.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.