Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts
scooter2468 said:
It's just an issue of supply/demand, right? Greater demand combined w/ limited supply = higher pricing. It's very simple and it's nothing evil or underhanded on the promoters' part. The $15 fee just to submit an entry IS evil, however. I'm glad I got a chance to do the race this year, 'cause there's no way I'd enter this year, on principle alone.
Agreed. As long as people keep signing up in droves, the price will continue to creep higher every few years. The Leadville race is in a great position and can, up to a certain point, name their price. Presumably, there is a point where demand decreases due to the price, waning popularity or competition, then the price may drop or stop increasing.

I also agree that a $15 submission fee and a higher entry fee together is lame. Requiring someone to pay $15 just for the honor of being included in a lottery is just plain wrong in my book. If the intent is to deter those not totally serious, I doubt it will work.

I would love to do Leadville some day. Considering that travel expenses would be several thousand dollars, not to mention all the money you are likely to spend on new gear and bike parts, then paying an extra 50-100 to enter is a drop in the bucket. I expect that a lot of people can look at it that way.

Would be different if you are more local, maybe.

anthony.delorenzo said:
I would love to do Leadville some day. Considering that travel expenses would be several thousand dollars, not to mention all the money you are likely to spend on new gear and bike parts, then paying an extra 50-100 to enter is a drop in the bucket. I expect that a lot of people can look at it that way.

Would be different if you are more local, maybe.
Some years ago I spent a lot of money to travel cross country to do an Ironman and it was worth every penny, considering it was my first one (actually, my only one). It was a big goal to complete an Ironman, so it was worth it the first time. No way in the world was I going to spend that kind of money twice.

As for Leadville, I'd say that it has the sort of cachet to make it worth the expense once just so you can say you did it. If I were far enough away that it took more than one day's drive to get there, I wouldn't bother with doing it twice. As a relative local, the entry fee alone wouldn't dissuade me from doing it twice, but the impact it has on your overall schedule is. Well, if you're not a committed mtb endurance guy, it is. I much prefer XC racing as opposed to endurance or marathon events, so its tough to prepare for both 2 hr events AND a 10 hr event simultaneously. I did it once, that's enough.

Really can't hate on Leadville too much for charging more money. It's simple supply and demand. They have a popular product which dictates the price goes up. I think they do a good job of putting on a excellent, logistics-intensive race with international exposure, but never forget the reason Chlouber dreamed up all these races to begin with. Money. Dolla-dolla bills y'all, Personally I don't really like paying that kind of money.... but I will... so I guess the price is about right.
People will cry and cry about the money and it will turn some people off, but still they will be turning people away.

I raced Leadville this past year. Loved it and will be up there volunteering as well as pacing on the 100 mile trail run. The people, atmosphere, and Ken Clouber all make it worthwhile. I plan to return in 2011 and cant wait. Until then, gotta prep my bike for the snow mtb series at Leadville which kicks off next week as well as that bear of a race called the Breckenridge 100. :) Cheers.

And yes, that belt buckle is a sexy thing once you have it.

The old site listed every finisher that had ever finished the race and the run IIRC. If not for each year, then at least for the past several years. I poured over the splits for my 2009 race.

Does anyone see that on the new site. I cant even find last years finishing times.

Sort of strange for a race that is "about the people".

LP

lanpope said:
The old site listed every finisher that had ever finished the race and the run IIRC. If not for each year, then at least for the past several years. I poured over the splits for my 2009 race.

Does anyone see that on the new site. I cant even find last years finishing times.

Sort of strange for a race that is "about the people".

LP
A file was just recently put on the Yahoogroups LT100Bike bb that consists of the all-time finishers list....the office still hasn't addressed the availability of results per year on their new website....lots of old and new competitors do like to check out everyone's splits from prior races so hopefully this fact will soon be mentioned to the website creators....

Any word on lottery winners?

Haven't seen my bank account hit yet (besides the 15 app fee) and yet to get the dreadful email/letter. (Got in back in 06 but missed the lottery for 3 years after!)

Has anyone heard/seen anything?

Cheers.

illcomm33 said:
Haven't seen my bank account hit yet (besides the 15 app fee) and yet to get the dreadful email/letter. (Got in back in 06 but missed the lottery for 3 years after!)

Has anyone heard/seen anything?

Cheers.
The lottery is supposed to take place on Feb 8th. Good luck!

In the past...

I have always known I was either in or not because my check would clear my bank account about 5 days before I received the letter! (or it wouldn't clear and I would have friends who's checks did...)
Curious to see how this new setup will work. Email?

illcomm33 said:
I have always known I was either in or not because my check would clear my bank account about 5 days before I received the letter! (or it wouldn't clear and I would have friends who's checks did...)
Curious to see how this new setup will work. Email?
Maybe they'll have a 'confirmed rider' list, like bikereg.com

I've been checking my CC online every day. Nothing yet, but I think they would start charging cards as soon as the lottery is conducted and collect the money. Even at low interest rates, 1,500 x $275 is a lot of money.

Good luck everyone.

The "successful entrants' list" has usually been posted on the old website the past couple of years....your cc will be charged once the lottery is completed....check the new website daily for updated news....and keep your fingers crossed if you applied....

21 - 40 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.