Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leadville's new site is up. Registration is up and running, no group entries, and the price has gone up. Looks like they are trying to pay for that movie. Breck 100 here I come.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
637 Posts
Mr Yeti said:
Leadville's new site is up. Registration is up and running, no group entries, and the price has gone up. Looks like they are trying to pay for that movie. Breck 100 here I come.
You do realize that the race promoters and the movie producers are not one and the same??

Seems that lot's of folks really like busting on the Leadville folks for the entry fees, but... it's a free market and if I were getting many, many thousands of extra entries at $250 a pop, I'd up the fees, too, until I found the optimal price so that no entries went unclaimed.
 

·
.
Joined
·
1,534 Posts
its slower than molasses on a cold day.

signed up though. doubt i get in because of the popularity and i'd be a first timer...

but we'll see.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
637 Posts
12wheels said:
I could understand the fee hikes when there were 600-700 racers but find it a little tough to take now that they have 1400.
It's just an issue of supply/demand, right? Greater demand combined w/ limited supply = higher pricing. It's very simple and it's nothing evil or underhanded on the promoters' part. The $15 fee just to submit an entry IS evil, however. I'm glad I got a chance to do the race this year, 'cause there's no way I'd enter this year, on principle alone.
 

·
Time to go farther
Joined
·
1,338 Posts
They might as well try to make their money, I don't fault them for it but they've priced me out and the $15 application fee is depressing.
 

·
Category Winner
Joined
·
6,100 Posts
I heard next year you will have to pay $12 to get into a lottery to see if you can be one of the lucky 5,000 riders who get to send in $15 to enter the lottery.

When will this madness end?

 

·
It ain't easy being Green
Joined
·
1,208 Posts
There are lots of things that cost "too much": Salsa Skewers, Sidi shoes, etc. People still buy them for the snobby "bling" factor; likewise Leadville. If you don't like the price, don't buy the product...
The $15 "lottery entry fee" is the same as you would be charged by active.com or ticketbastard; however, it would have been nice if they rolled it into the $275 that lottery winners pay. But w/e...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,123 Posts
sdcadbiker said:
There are lots of things that cost "too much": Salsa Skewers, Sidi shoes, etc. People still buy them for the snobby "bling" factor; likewise Leadville. If you don't like the price, don't buy the product...
The $15 "lottery entry fee" is the same as you would be charged by active.com or ticketbastard; however, it would have been nice if they rolled it into the $275 that lottery winners pay. But w/e...
But with those fees you actually get a ticket to the show. I understand why they are doing this, but personally I think it is weak sauce. I will not be trying to get in now.....too much money to ride dirt roads, I can do that on my own.

I saw the movie and it looks like a great time, but for me and my wife to do this would cost way too much with lodging. We are going to just take a long trip and ride instead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,429 Posts
Now it's pushing $300 and still if you are awarded an entry, they'll take your money in feb for an event in aug, and no refunds or transfers. No Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
On paper the LT100 is a racket....but still consider it.

The cost is expensive, and the new $15 application fee is an absolute racket, but there is something about the race that somehow makes it worth it. I have raced other ultra endurance events (Durango 100, Laramie Enduro ) and both offered better singletrack and overall support stations but Leadville has a different charm. If you have never raced it don't pass based on the cost....the fans/crowds are pretty sweet and all the racers really root for each other to get through it. You won't be racing on the best singletrack/trail but it is a really neat event. I raced in 2005 and tried to get in for the past couple years. I paid the $15 fee and am hoping to give it another shot. Never done the Breck 100 but have raced the Firecracker for 3 years (AWESOME).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
My, how Leadville is... evolving.

My take on the $15 lottery fee is that is intended in part to up the ante for the commitment to enter.

I didn't get in this year (2009), which is the first year I threw in my hat, and was a little cynical (shall we say) about all the figures bandied about concerning the number of lottery entries which had to have been inflated by a good number of anybody's who could fill out a form and stamp an envelope whose only downside was to get a ding letter along with their returned check if they didn't get in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Running a race is a costly business. I learned first hand from running The Intermontane Challenge. The lottery fee I see is to cover another one of those cost that nip away at the bottom line. It takes time and money to sort through all the potential racers. For successful races like Leadville to survive... we(race organizers) need to see something that isn't red at the bottom line. We dream of the day when we have Leadville's problem.. too many racers!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
Well said

chuckbiker said:
Running a race is a costly business. I learned first hand from running The Intermontane Challenge. The lottery fee I see is to cover another one of those cost that nip away at the bottom line. It takes time and money to sort through all the potential racers. For successful races like Leadville to survive... we(race organizers) need to see something that isn't red at the bottom line. We dream of the day when we have Leadville's problem.. too many racers!!!
It feels like there's a lot of attitude out there that sounds like people think they should be able to get into any race without having to pay. And, no doubt there are some organizers (especially of grass-roots races) that do it purely for the love and don't mind shelling out their own $s - but how long can someone do that?

Look at the lottery fee as a way to cut down the applicants who aren't serious and improve the odds a bit for those who are. Last year almost 200 people registered but didn't start. You could argue that it's "found money" for the organizers. But, they still had to plan on them being there - ensuring that they had the swag, aid stations were geared up for them, etc. And, it kept 200 others who would have shown up from getting in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
637 Posts
chuckred said:
It feels like there's a lot of attitude out there that sounds like people think they should be able to get into any race without having to pay. And, no doubt there are some organizers (especially of grass-roots races) that do it purely for the love and don't mind shelling out their own $s - but how long can someone do that?

Look at the lottery fee as a way to cut down the applicants who aren't serious and improve the odds a bit for those who are. Last year almost 200 people registered but didn't start. You could argue that it's "found money" for the organizers. But, they still had to plan on them being there - ensuring that they had the swag, aid stations were geared up for them, etc. And, it kept 200 others who would have shown up from getting in.
I agree with most of your points, except that I don't think there are that many folks who'll send in $250 8 months in advance if they're not serious about wanting to do the race, and there's no reason to assume that if the 200 who didn't show up weren't registered there wouldn't be 200 more who also wouldn't show up. I refuse to believe that the 200 or so registrants who didn't show up weren't committed from the beginning and weren't torn up about not being able to attend, whether due to injury or whatever. There will always be pre-registered riders who don't show.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
I'd feel better about the event if it hadn't grown so large so quickly. The first 20 miles are too crowded and Columbine is an accident waiting to happen. I'd also be less critical of the fee hike if I hadn't competed in the running events on Pike's Peak.
http://www.pikespeakmarathon.org/entry.htm
$95* for the Ascent (1800 runners) and $85 for the Marathon (800 runners). The vibe is great and fees small. Excellent support and aid stations as well.

It's great to see the money rolling into Leadville but after 13 years of racing and volunteering this is the first year I've questioned whether it's really worth the fee.

Flame away guys.

*They use Active for registration so there is an additional fee.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
637 Posts
12wheels said:
I'd feel better about the event if it hadn't grown so large so quickly. The first 20 miles are too crowded and Columbine is an accident waiting to happen. I'd also be less critical of the fee hike if I hadn't competed in the running events on Pike's Peak.
http://www.pikespeakmarathon.org/entry.htm
$95* for the Ascent (1800 runners) and $85 for the Marathon (800 runners). The vibe is great and fees small. Excellent support and aid stations as well.

It's great to see the money rolling into Leadville but after 13 years of racing and volunteering this is the first year I've questioned whether it's really worth the fee.

Flame away guys.

*They use Active for registration so there is an additional fee.
Not a flame, but an expansion of your point... there's a very fine line between what a promoter must charge to generate enough revenue to keep an event going and the amount the racers are willing to pay to attend the event. Until such time as Leadville has open slots available on race day, they haven't crossed over the 'too much' line, at least for those riders who've chosen to attend. For me, given that I've done the event once already and have checked it off my list, they've crossed that line already. From the perspective of really wanting to do the ride at least once, it was worth the $250 entry plus all the other costs. Going forward, it isn't worth it to me to pay the increased fees plus all the other costs just to do it a second time. In some small regard, I think it will be a good thing if more people think like me, since it will mean less repeat riders and therefore more new folks get their chance to do it, too.
 

·
Time to go farther
Joined
·
1,338 Posts
chuckred said:
Last year almost 200 people registered but didn't start. You could argue that it's "found money" for the organizers.
Come on, that's a function of no refunds/entry swaps on a race that you have to sign up for in January that doesn't take place until August. People get sick, hurt, move, whatever and with a no refunds or transfers policy, Leadville just pockets the cash.

Also no one expects the race to be free. But since I've been racing, which isn't that long, entry has gone from $220 to nearly $300 for no gain in services.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
Fair enough

Pivvay said:
Come on, that's a function of no refunds/entry swaps on a race that you have to sign up for in January that doesn't take place until August. People get sick, hurt, move, whatever and with a no refunds or transfers policy, Leadville just pockets the cash.
I suppose there's always going to be some no show rate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
I did pbville in '08 and figured it cost me around $1200 in travel, entry fees, etc. for a phat belt buckle and some great memories. Well worth it.
Now on to the next challenge (whatever it may be?) and let someone else try for the gold and silver buckle.
 
1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Top