Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aug 14th was a day that was one year in the waiting. In '09 we drove up Columbine climb after the race and had the wild idea to come back next year and setup a hotdog stand on the slopes of the monster. Friday the 13th we loaded up the goods in Denvertown and headed to the Cloud City.

Boosting past the Ike tunnel we thought we'd stop in Silverthorne and see about a chef's hat.

Success!!

We drove above Twin Lakes for about 5 miles and found a flat spot on the uphill side of the road. We didn't want to cause any bottle necks or wreck any racers, so right side of the road with plenty of room was key.

The 14th dawned bright and early and we set about getting things ready.

Advertising is crucial

As is proper kitchen attire

The riders were putting in a full share of effort, so why shouldn't we?

The top guys blew past with nary a thought of stopping. Although on the way up JHK chuckled a bit and Weins said it was the funniest thing he's seen. Wells was too cross-eyed to say much beyond "How far to the leaders?"

Regardless, the hotdog stand wasn't just for the top 5 riders. If anything, it was for the last 5 riders.

As the afternoon wore on the riders were few and far between. We still cooked 'dogs and still yelled and cheered for every racer. Some beer may have been consumed.

This pretty well sums up my motive for the hotdog stand

To the 1198 riders who smiled and said thanks, you are more than welcome! To the two riders who got mad and flipped me the bird, I hope you finished and can look back on the race with satisfaction. Maybe next time stop in for a 'dog and beer, they'll be delicious!

·
Steel is real.
1,268 Posts
Freaking awesome; that really is great stuff.
Nice touch with the “waiter’s” attire too btw..........LOL

p.s. Who in the hell would get mad and flip you the bird? That’s ridiculous.......

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One guy got perturbed about a small traffic jam. Another Mexican/Italian(?) rider gave me the full hand salute like the Iberian version of the bird, he had a tri-color jersey on so I can only assume where he was from.

Had so many good people come flying back by on the way down yelling "Thanks for the dog!! It got me to the top!"

·
Broke college student
183 Posts
Just ran a race today myself and would have cried tears of joy at the sight of dogs and beer midway through the race. Whoever got mad clearly doesn't have a soul. It's hot dogs and beer for god's sake....

You, sir, are the mother Teresa of the biking world.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
Yeah, I think I would hug you...I'd be all sweaty and dirty though :p

wait...no I wouldn't.. that's a hundred miler :eek:, I'd be there stokin the charcoal and icin down the brews for ya tho!

and also sticking skewers (hot-dog style - not the hub-type ;)) through the front wheel of anyone who gave ya a cross eye! :thumbsup:

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,168 Posts
Major props for originality and creativity. :band:

We gotta remember this one for POTY (Post of the year).

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.