Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did not win the Leadville 100 lottery. BUT.......I did just realize that will be in Silverton 3 days after the Leadville Silver Rush 50. I am thinking about just heading out early and hitting this race...

Anyone do this one before and have any comments about:
Turnout years prior
How well organized it was
Course
Tips/What to expect..
Etc etc...

It does sound pretty brutal for such a short race...covering the "most difficult" sections of the LT100 route..

Thanks... Oh..and congrats to anyone who got into LT100...

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
The Silver Rush doesn't actually cover *any* of the LT100 route. It goes up toward Mosquito Pass east of town. With that said, it is a good race, similar to the LT100 but not as much pavement cruising. It is less than half the number of miles as LT100(which is actually about 105 miles now), but it takes 60-70% of the amount of time.

The race begins with a 200 meter sprint uphill carrying your bike. Then it gets harder...

If, as many suspect, the Silver Rush is one of the new qualifiers for LT100, expect a huge turnout.

·
Registered
49 Posts
50 miles of tough terrain...you peak 12,000ft (or close to 12K) 6 times...you are either going up or down...not a lot of places to rest while riding.

Well organized - with enough Aid stations where you need them. Hard start (hike a bike up a short steep hill)....mostly double track/road
The 100 and the Silver Rush are usually totally different courses/trails...there has been many a debate about which is harder - I have done both and can understand both arguments.

if you want to increase your 'lottery' chances for the 100 next year, volunteer at the Silver Rush run the next day (or any of the Leadville events - they usually always need help)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Having tried the lottery a few times and rode the Leadville 50 last year.....still NO luck at getting in.

I'm not a racer but enjoy my long rides and I'm very lucky to live in CO.

The Leadville 50 SUCKS....if you like to push your bike for long periods of time go for it. In addition you get the attack of the Mosqitos at approx mile 38.

I think it's sad that they cannot come up with a better course. They have all the great riding trails on the west side of Leadville.

Yep I would like to do the 100 but it has been overhyped because of Armstrong hence the big numbers for the Lottery.

Talking to some of the top finishers they don't really like the race that much because it's mostly on jeep roads.

Best race I have done to date is the Laramie Enduro. Great course and very well supported.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I disagree, I think the course is great. You just can't go into it expecting singletrack. All of the race is on fireroads, and much of it is above treeline.

Its a super fun, well put on race. There are usually only around 300 racers, but with all the hype the 100 is getting I would expect a huge turnout this year.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Search this forum and the Front Range forum. There have been multiple threads in recent years that should cover all of your questions.

I did it in 2008 and had a great time. Challenging course and well-organized. Train for lots and lots of climbing at high altitude and some hike-a-bike.

And while it's true that there isn't much classic singletrack, the mining roads that make up much of the course are a far cry from graded dirt roads. Fairly steep in places with lots of loose and embedded rocks that keep you on your toes.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I did it in 2009 and 2010.

The turnout in 2010 was much better than 2009, and even more will probably be there in 2011. There was something like 700 races last year.

The course is all fireroad but I wouldn't say that the course is boring. There is very little flat sections. The hike a bike after the turnaround SUCKS. This course is very hard if you race it. The bad news is that you will climb 7,000+ feet in about 38 miles. After mile 38, you just have a long descent to the finish. So it is not really a 50 mile race, more like 38.

It is a fun race will good awards....do it if you can.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Silver Rush

A couple of things to correct. The race is not 50 miles, more like 46ish. The 100 is more like 103. People that finish the LT100 around 9hrs, finish the SR in around 5. Close to zero road cruising. I've done the SR 4 times. Did it last year for the first time in 5 years. The number of racers was way too many. The post-race festivities are much better than the LT100, which basically means they have beer (for racers only).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Great race. Sure it has a lot of double track but doubt anyone would say it was easy. Lots of climbing. Shares its start, including "that hill" with the new 12/24hour - don't run at it too hard or you'll spend the next few miles recovering - on the other hand run up it to slow and you'll be caught in a morass of 800 riders converging onto a double track. I had a horrendous 2010 SR with a fractured wrist which made the race very painful and braking/descending a nightmare. Looking forward to 2011.

As mtbtiago said, volunteer for the next day and spare a thought for the Silver Kings and Silver Queens who ride it on the Saturday and then run it on the Sunday.

There are some Youtube videos of the course.

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm...

Tokay said:
Great race. Sure it has a lot of double track but doubt anyone would say it was easy. Lots of climbing. Shares its start, including "that hill" with the new 12/24hour - don't run at it too hard or you'll spend the next few miles recovering - on the other hand run up it to slow and you'll be caught in a morass of 800 riders converging onto a double track. I had a horrendous 2010 SR with a fractured wrist which made the race very painful and braking/descending a nightmare. Looking forward to 2011.

As mtbtiago said, volunteer for the next day and spare a thought for the Silver Kings and Silver Queens who ride it on the Saturday and then run it on the Sunday.

There are some Youtube videos of the course.
IF I volunteer to help out for the run the following day, anyone know how much that will increase my odds of getting LT100 entry next year?

·
Registered
47 Posts
The "wisdom" I've heard and is quoted on the Yahoo LT100 forum is above 8 hours helps but not guarantees. Stories implies it helps a lot. You get a form signed with your hours, I got one last year as I volunteered at the run for 9 hours. I didn't need to enter the lottery as I chose the Leadman series which is inclusive of LT100 so I've no evidence if it would have helped.

Irrespective of the lottery it is a great way of giving back and I learnt a lot talking to other volunteers and helping the runners at the 100 run. After 76 miles (Fish Hatchery inbound), their attitudes where inspiring and most runners had a grateful word and a smile for the volunteers.

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tokay said:
The "wisdom" I've heard and is quoted on the Yahoo LT100 forum is above 8 hours helps but not guarantees. Stories implies it helps a lot. You get a form signed with your hours, I got one last year as I volunteered at the run for 9 hours. I didn't need to enter the lottery as I chose the Leadman series which is inclusive of LT100 so I've no evidence if it would have helped.

Irrespective of the lottery it is a great way of giving back and I learnt a lot talking to other volunteers and helping the runners at the 100 run. After 76 miles (Fish Hatchery inbound), their attitudes where inspiring and most runners had a grateful word and a smile for the volunteers.
Wait...I thought my entry fee for the lottery that I will never see again was a way of "giving":p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.