Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Leadville 100 is August 12th....in other words "very, very soon".

Who's gonna be there?

I'll be making it into town with Padre, Madre and Moonbeam likely Thursday night or Friday morning...staying through the awards ceremony on Sunday.

A show of hands?

B

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
donkey said:
The Leadville 100 is August 12th....in other words "very, very soon".

Who's gonna be there?

I'll be making it into town with Padre, Madre and Moonbeam likely Thursday night or Friday morning...staying through the awards ceremony on Sunday.

A show of hands?

B
This ride sounds interesting. Is it too late to start traing for it?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I will be there too. Coming in on thursday, after riding the GD-route from STeamboat Springs to Crested Butte with wife and kids th two weeks before. We are leaving in a few days. Hope to get used to the elevation soon, as I am coming from 5 below sealevel in the Netherlands. see you there.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Not ready, but I will be there

I am showing up Thursday night, staying through Sunday. Not sure that I am ready for it, but it is too late to worry about that, unless I come up with a very clever and fast-acting doping program.

Steve

·
Registered
242 Posts
My hot bike

Well, I only have one bike (Salsa Dos Niner), so that is what I am riding.

I pre-rode some of the course yesterday (Columbine climb and Powerline). A soft-tail is fine for 90% of it, but there are rough/loose sections where I wanted to be on my friends Maverick with 6" of travel. The descent from Columbine Mine is rough and rocky, but it only lasts about 2 miles. My bike is pretty stock, but the main change is that I put on Nanoraptors, and I am running them at 60 psi. This is high, but I will put up with the reduced comfort for faster rolling on the smooth sections.

I was passed on the way up to the mine by a fellow on a Giant XTC, set up for total racer XC. He had no trouble descending the rough stuff.

In general, I would think that anything from a hardtail to an efficient XC full-suspension with minimal knobby tires would work just fine. Dave Wiens has won it on a Maverick the last year or two.

Steve

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll be riding a Moots Mooto-X with Pace rigid fork and a handful of gears.

As for tires...likely Nano's front and rear.

This is the same bike that I rode last year...except it's ALOT lighter this year.

B

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,772 Posts
gabbard said:
A soft-tail is fine for 90% of it, but there are rough/loose sections where I wanted to be on my friends Maverick with 6" of travel. The descent from Columbine Mine is rough and rocky, but it only lasts about 2 miles
Unless you're first or second to Columbine Mine, there's no way you can bomb the descent as there's a solid stream of humanity coming up the climb, taking the good lines. I guess if you were last up the climb...

I've done it three times on a Moots YBB (26") and it worked great -- I think the years I rode it there were more Moots YBBs in the top 100 than any other make of bike. But I don't think the soft-tail (26er or 29er) would be as good as my "fully firm" Ti 29er. The course is certainly tame enough to go without suspension if you train that way. Unfortunately, I don't expect to be there for a couple of years -- too many races, too little time. But it is a great event -- enjoy!

·
Team Velveeta™
3,079 Posts
I'll be there with Caliber

ajoc_prez said:
What is everyones bike weapon of choice for the LT100? I was always curious what the hot bike setup would be for a race like this? What are you riding and what are the specs?
I got my new Caliber when I did (see "My new Caliber" thread) because I wanted to have enough time to decide if I should race it or stick with last year's steed, Curtlo hardtail. I'm definitely feeling fast on the Fisher, so there's no question. Unless I break it before then it'll be the Caliber.

My goal for this year is to be less than 11 hours. Given that I'm seeing good speed on the new bike, and I've shaved a few layers off my butt since last year, I think it's quite likely.

But kids? Expect moisture, unless this pattern breaks before then. It's definitely wetter, and getting wet earlier in the day than last year.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Dry up there on Sunday

One day does not make a trend, but at least in Boulder, our wet weather has kind of dissipated, although it is more stormy than in recent drought years. On Sunday in Leadville, the course was totally dry, only one stream crossing with any water. Hagerman Pass road was dusty.

Steve

TomP said:
I got my new Caliber when I did (see "My new Caliber" thread) because I wanted to have enough time to decide if I should race it or stick with last year's steed, Curtlo hardtail. I'm definitely feeling fast on the Fisher, so there's no question. Unless I break it before then it'll be the Caliber.

My goal for this year is to be less than 11 hours. Given that I'm seeing good speed on the new bike, and I've shaved a few layers off my butt since last year, I think it's quite likely.

But kids? Expect moisture, unless this pattern breaks before then. It's definitely wetter, and getting wet earlier in the day than last year.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Columbine Descent

PeT is right - in the middle of the pack, there is a stream of humanity PUSHING their bikes up Columbine, so everyone is just trying to stay out of their way on the descent. When I rode down on Sunday, I purposely rode on the right side on the descent, which is the rocky and loose section, because that is where I know that I will have to ride. Thankfully, the right side going up is rideable in many sections and pretty smooth, although I found that a fast powerhike was faster by 1-2 mph than thrashing around in first gear, fighting for traction and barely turning the gears over.

Steve

PeT said:
Unless you're first or second to Columbine Mine, there's no way you can bomb the descent as there's a solid stream of humanity coming up the climb, taking the good lines. I guess if you were last up the climb...

I've done it three times on a Moots YBB (26") and it worked great -- I think the years I rode it there were more Moots YBBs in the top 100 than any other make of bike. But I don't think the soft-tail (26er or 29er) would be as good as my "fully firm" Ti 29er. The course is certainly tame enough to go without suspension if you train that way. Unfortunately, I don't expect to be there for a couple of years -- too many races, too little time. But it is a great event -- enjoy!

·
Team Velveeta™
3,079 Posts
Salida has been seeing moisture

gabbard said:
One day does not make a trend, but at least in Boulder, our wet weather has kind of dissipated, although it is more stormy than in recent drought years. On Sunday in Leadville, the course was totally dry, only one stream crossing with any water. Hagerman Pass road was dusty.
Yeah, it's still too far out to make any real predictions, for sure.

I'm in Salida, an hour south of Leadville. I rode west and southwest of here Saturday and Monday. Rain and lots of puddles both days. Sunday it poured right here in town, several times. Usually Leadville is wetter than we are, so I assumed it was worse up there. Sounds like I assumed wrong.

Murphy's Law dictates that the weather will be fine as long as I'm carrying a couple pounds of wet weather clothing. I'll try to remember to bring it. I apologize in advance if I forget, because it could snow!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.