Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many would say that with foam tire inserts, you could run a lower PSI to get better traction in turns. From personal experience, I can attest that inserts also help greatly against pinch flats from a 6-hr race I did recently, that was relatively far more technical than LV. Better tire damping characteristics were also mentioned when using inserts. There was also some anecdotal mention of the inserts being better for climbing trails with less "bounce back" when hitting a rock.

As an aside, that 6-hr race was my first mtb ride this year, so it was hard for me to appreciate some of the above purported benefits (other than slamming on a lip of a bridge with my rear wheel and having no pinch flats - thank god for the insert and the sealant!).

But given the particular conditions of LV100, where the vast majority of time you are riding straight on pretty smooth surfaces, I am not sure if the added rotational mass provided by a foam tire insert would make it worth it, especially since the possibility of pinch flats while not using inserts could be mitigated through higher psi. From my recollection from the Stage Race last year, there were only two sections where pinch flats were of major concern: Columbine descent and Sugarloaf descent. Both of these section are really short when compared to the entire 104 miles.

What do you guys think, especially for someone solidly in a small buckle category?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Many would say that with foam tire inserts, you could run a lower PSI to get better traction in turns. From personal experience, I can attest that inserts also help greatly against pinch flats from a 6-hr race I did recently, that was relatively far more technical than LV. Better tire damping characteristics were also mentioned when using inserts. There was also some anecdotal mention of the inserts being better for climbing trails with less "bounce back" when hitting a rock.

As an aside, that 6-hr race was my first mtb ride this year, so it was hard for me to appreciate some of the above purported benefits (other than slamming on a lip of a bridge with my rear wheel and having no pinch flats - thank god for the insert and the sealant!).

But given the particular conditions of LV100, where the vast majority of time you are riding straight on pretty smooth surfaces, I am not sure if the added rotational mass provided by a foam tire insert would make it worth it, especially since the possibility of pinch flats while not using inserts could be mitigated through higher psi. From my recollection from the Stage Race last year, there were only two sections where pinch flats were of major concern: Columbine descent and Sugarloaf descent. Both of these section are really short when compared to the entire 104 miles.

What do you guys think, especially for someone solidly in a small buckle category?
I used tires with sidewall protection and normal to a little higher air pressure. I don't think it's worth the extra inserts.
But that's just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Seeing as this race could be raced on a gravel bike, I think you are over thinking it a bit.

I would run Aspen 2.25 Exo because I just don’t want to go all that way for some freak accident.

I would also carry a dynaplug megapil for the same reason.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Seeing as this race could be raced on a gravel bike...
And clearly you can because we see people do it. Just because something can be done doesn't mean it's a good idea though. Leadville is not a gnarly course but it's a long day in the saddle, too long for most people, to absorb the chatter from riding a full rigid on skinny tires.

You could make an argument that what keeps the average rider comfortable and confident is the smarter choice than going for the lightest / lowest Crr possible setup... but I wouldn't make that case for inserts at LV100 specifically. As everyone else said I think you're best with a standard tubeless setup with one of the lower-Crr racing focused tires.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for everyone's thoughts. I think that I'll take them out this weekend..... Got Wilmington Whiteface next weekend.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
And clearly you can because we see people do it. Just because something can be done doesn't mean it's a good idea though. Leadville is not a gnarly course but it's a long day in the saddle, too long for most people, to absorb the chatter from riding a full rigid on skinny tires.

You could make an argument that what keeps the average rider comfortable and confident is the smarter choice than going for the lightest / lowest Crr possible setup... but I wouldn't make that case for inserts at LV100 specifically. As everyone else said I think you're best with a standard tubeless setup with one of the lower-Crr racing focused tires.
Well, it's a gravel race and hardly an MTB trail race.

Anyways, my recommendation is 2.25 Exo Aspens. High volume, comfortable, fast, reliable...

·
Registered
477 Posts
'better traction in turns'
LT100 is a long day... extra weight and rolling resistance will add up.
As mentioned, you don't need more traction at LT100. Traction, when not needed, equals rolling resistance.

You will be much better off running a fast-rolling, reasonably light-weight tire that still provides some decent sidewall protection.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.