Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I'm with Padre....
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some input!

I have done several 100 milers on the ss over the last year and a half. I have been planning on doing Leadville on gears with the assumption that the ss wasn't reasonable. Now I have heard that it might be a reasonable idea after all, which leaves me wondering what to do.

I've only been riding gears now for a few months and I definitely don't feel as strong as on the ss, but I want to finish in a decent time... Anyone have an opinion?
 

·
This place needs an enema
Joined
·
16,523 Posts
Madre said:
I need some input!

I have done several 100 milers on the ss over the last year and a half. I have been planning on doing Leadville on gears with the assumption that the ss wasn't reasonable. Now I have heard that it might be a reasonable idea after all, which leaves me wondering what to do.

I've only been riding gears now for a few months and I definitely don't feel as strong as on the ss, but I want to finish in a decent time... Anyone have an opinion?
Leadville is a terrible course to try to do fast on a SS. Two big climbs with a lot of flat in between. Hard to gear appropriately.

I did it twice on my SS. Ran 2:1 both times (26" wheels...) and couldn't do better than ~10:20. I can go sub-9 with gears on that course...

That help?

MC
 

·
I'm with Padre....
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mikesee said:
Leadville is a terrible course to try to do fast on a SS. Two big climbs with a lot of flat in between. Hard to gear appropriately.

I did it twice on my SS. Ran 2:1 both times (26" wheels...) and couldn't do better than ~10:20. I can go sub-9 with gears on that course...

That help?

MC
Thanks Mike. That gives me alot to think about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,931 Posts
mikesee said:
Leadville is a terrible course to try to do fast on a SS. Two big climbs with a lot of flat in between. Hard to gear appropriately.

I did it twice on my SS. Ran 2:1 both times (26" wheels...) and couldn't do better than ~10:20. I can go sub-9 with gears on that course...

That help?

MC
It would help more if you had data for the two big climbs and the flats separate. A 2:1 gearing at altitude would make me real slow on the climbs, so anything easier would be faster for sure.

The question is if the gear inches went from 52 to something less would the minutes gained on the climbs outweigh minutes lost on the flats (if any)?

I'm guessing that the sub-9 with gears happened because the climbs took less time, not that the flats took less time. :confused:
 

·
SS Chimp
Joined
·
525 Posts
do it.....

search the archives for more info but here is a start --> Leadville SS info.

This will be year #3 on the SS ( 32x18 on a 26 ) and last year I was somewhere in the area of 9:46 with about 30 minutes of "relaxing" :rolleyes: at the Pipeline aid station. Scott pulled an 8:58 out last year running 32x18 and my wife pulled an 11:12 with sh*t for miles leading up to the race. Just relax and enjoyt the view when spun out :thumbsup:
 

·
I'm with Padre....
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
32x18 said:
search the archives for more info but here is a start --> Leadville SS info.

This will be year #3 on the SS ( 32x18 on a 26 ) and last year I was somewhere in the area of 9:46 with about 30 minutes of "relaxing" :rolleyes: at the Pipeline aid station. Scott pulled an 8:58 out last year running 32x18 and my wife pulled an 11:12 with sh*t for miles leading up to the race. Just relax and enjoyt the view when spun out :thumbsup:
Looks like I'm a bit late on this conversation. Thanks for the archive link. Congratulations to your wife for finishing so well!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
I will do the Leadville, but decided to take my geared bike. Main reason is I will be riding the GD-route from Steamboat to Salida the week before. Doing this on my ss (and pulling my son on his trailerbike) is too much for me. I think I will be really happy on my bike choice after 80 miles in leadville.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,117 Posts
Another problem with single speeds...

A mass downhill start with 600+ riders. The SSers quickly spin-out and find themselves behind 600 riders - many slow - at the first climb. It's hard to do a fast time when you have to pass a lot of slow riders (like me).
 

·
SS Chimp
Joined
·
525 Posts
Zignzag said:
A mass downhill start with 600+ riders. The SSers quickly spin-out and find themselves behind 600 riders - many slow - at the first climb. It's hard to do a fast time when you have to pass a lot of slow riders (like me).
It is not too bad if you cue up in the front, can ride/draft in the pack and keep out of the way of the faster riders on the way to St. Kevins. If you don't ride well in a pack, are nervous about the other rides who can not hold a line or like to crash on the pavement I suggest you start in the back :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,566 Posts
Do it!...Do it!!...DO IT!!!

"You are better than you think you are and you can do more than you think you can"
9:30:17 on the SS here (32X18 as well)..."Dig Deep"?? :thumbsup:
 

·
graps the nettle
Joined
·
519 Posts
chiming in late...

mikesee said:
Leadville is a terrible course to try to do fast on a SS. Two big climbs with a lot of flat in between. Hard to gear appropriately.

I did it twice on my SS. Ran 2:1 both times (26" wheels...) and couldn't do better than ~10:20. I can go sub-9 with gears on that course...

That help?

MC
yeah, but if you recall mike, that first year you rode one speed there was also the year scott shipman pulled around an 8:30 time on a 2:1 gear...

it's doable, but boring as all getout. even with gears, this is a soul-sucking grinder. since there is so much flat washboard, gearing down for the two climbs on the course is debatable wisdom.
 

·
This place needs an enema
Joined
·
16,523 Posts
MtotheF said:
yeah, but if you recall mike, that first year you rode one speed there was also the year scott shipman pulled around an 8:30 time on a 2:1 gear...

it's doable, but boring as all getout. even with gears, this is a soul-sucking grinder. since there is so much flat washboard, gearing down for the two climbs on the course is debatable wisdom.
I can always count on you to bust my bawls, can't I Mike?

Your recollection of his time is spot-on, but that was two years later. The first year that I SS'd Leadville (pathetic slow twitcher that I am) there were no other SS'ers there. That ('97) was the same year that Shipman SS'd the 'puff, and you (with your big fat gears) stooped to new lows by passing him in your big ring in the closing mile.
 

·
graps the nettle
Joined
·
519 Posts
anytime, mike...

mikesee said:
That ('97) was the same year that Shipman SS'd the 'puff, and you (with your big fat gears) stooped to new lows by passing him in your big ring in the closing mile.
yeah, well, someone had to do it... i think you meant to say, "you, with your big fat gears, sprinted him down and crushed him like a wounded animal in the closing mile."

there is no mercy in racing, and since i had spent the previous two seasons dealing with him beating me like a gong every time we raced ss together, it seemed like it had to be done.

so you raced ss at leadville in 95? weird, i can't remember that. but i was a hurting unit there those first couple attempts, so remembering anything but the tunnel of pain is difficult these days. especially given the failing memory that we elderly folk are renowned for...
 

·
This place needs an enema
Joined
·
16,523 Posts
MtotheF said:
yeah, well, someone had to do it... i think you meant to say, "you, with your big fat gears, sprinted him down and crushed him like a wounded animal in the closing mile."
Anyone that's seen your sprint would have a very hard time conjuring up that image.

Course I was a few hours back, so I can't vouch...

MtotheF said:
there is no mercy in racing, and since i had spent the previous two seasons dealing with him beating me like a gong every time we raced ss together, it seemed like it had to be done.
Always knew you were into kickin' a man when he was up.

MtotheF said:
so you raced ss at leadville in 95? weird, i can't remember that. but i was a hurting unit there those first couple attempts, so remembering anything but the tunnel of pain is difficult these days. especially given the failing memory that we elderly folk are renowned for...
Nope. I SS'ed PB in '97 and '98. Shipman scorched it in 8:30 in '99. I have this all written down somewhere, but I've also got it (taps forehead) right here...

Who you callin' elderly? I still remember everything, like your fondness for store-bought skipping stones...

MC
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top