Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
inner peace to make peace
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone finished either the Leadville 100 or the CascadeCreamPuff100?
Finished both?
Anyone finish the Leadville 100 in under 9 hours? Do finishing in under 12 hours get a buckle?
is the CascadeCreamPuff100 more fun?

Which of these bikes setups would be best for both: the Leadville 100 and the CascadeCreamPuff100:
a 24# 1998 steel hardtail XC racing bike,
a 24.5# 2007 Ventana El Fuego XC FS racing bike, or
a 26# 2007 Ventana El Saltomotes XC FS trail bike?

http://www.cascadecreampuff.com/
http://www.leadvilletrail100.com/index.ihtml

I've been thinking about buying or building up a 3rd bike (I have all that I need now)
Part of me says keep my steel HT and buy a DH race bike ('07 Kona Stab D') or get AM FS
bike ('07 Kona Coiler).

Tell us your Leadville 100 or the CascadeCreamPuff100 stories and impart your equipment and training advices, please?

·
Samsonite Tester
3,993 Posts
The CP will surround you in a beatiful location will awesome people going thru the same hell as you. Bring the lightest/best climbing bike you have.

Sorry my endurance quits long before 100 miles so i haven't done this race, just some of the trails involved.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I finished the Leadville 100 in 9:00:29 in 2003 and recieved the big gold belt-buckle. It was an amazing experience and I would love to do it again. I trained hard for 7 months with the goal of finishing in 9 hrs or less. My amazing angel of a wife was my main suppport "crew" and helped me to achieve my goal.
I raced on a 2003 S-Works epic with Crossmax Sl's and Avid Mechanicla discs. I didn't have any flats or mechanicals and the toughest part of the race for me was the climb up to Columbine Mine which was KILLER!!! Fortunately, after that, nothing else seemed difficult and my only "mistake" was taking huge turns at the front of the paceline heading towards Twin Lake dam and then after climbing up to Columbine I took huge turrs again in the opposite direction to the base of Powerline. I honestly believe that pushing myself so hard on the flats and doing such long turns at the front cost me anywhere between 15 and 30 minutes when it was all said and done.
However, there were a lot of riders cheering me on at the finish that I had pulled across those flat sections. They were grateful for my turns at the front.... :cool:

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
ummm i dont think so...

you fell 29 seconds short :p ---but congats anyway:thumbsup:

Macphisto said:
I finished the Leadville 100 in 9:00:29 in 2003 and recieved the big gold belt-buckle. It was an amazing experience and I would love to do it again. I trained hard for 7 months with the goal of finishing in 9 hrs or less. My amazing angel of a wife was my main suppport "crew" and helped me to achieve my goal.
I raced on a 2003 S-Works epic with Crossmax Sl's and Avid Mechanicla discs. I didn't have any flats or mechanicals and the toughest part of the race for me was the climb up to Columbine Mine which was KILLER!!! Fortunately, after that, nothing else seemed difficult and my only "mistake" was taking huge turns at the front of the paceline heading towards Twin Lake dam and then after climbing up to Columbine I took huge turrs again in the opposite direction to the base of Powerline. I honestly believe that pushing myself so hard on the flats and doing such long turns at the front cost me anywhere between 15 and 30 minutes when it was all said and done.
However, there were a lot of riders cheering me on at the finish that I had pulled across those flat sections. They were grateful for my turns at the front.... :cool:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hmmmmm....

Yeah, I openly admit that my finishing time was 29 seconds outside the limit but I recieved the Big Gold Belt Buckle to the applause of all the racers who were at the awards ceremony, and I wasn't the only one... there were a few others who fell outside the time limit and they recieved the Big Buckle as well... If I remember right nobody over 9:00:59 recived a "Big-Un"

Attachments

·
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MRBR.COM has grown so much...

scorpionwoman said:
I bet the "Endurance Racing" board has lots on those races.
...that It didn't even occur to me that we have a "Endurance Racing" board.
i'm kind of "old school" it's either XC or DH. SuperD and 4Cross are the fun part of XC, with the climbs taken out. Endurance Racing seem to me just a long XC. But I got a get on with the modern times, accepting that our great sport has many good facets.

now that i'm riding more than playing golf, I'm getting that old mtb psssion back...thinking i ought do one of these two killer races before trying something like that could actually kill me.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I finished Leadville just under the cutoff. No buckle, but I finished. That's good enough for me.

Edited to add; That was back in '03, when I was still young. :D

·
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Macphisto bucks

Macphisto said:
Yeah, I openly admit that my finishing time was 29 seconds outside the limit but I recieved the Big Gold Belt Buckle to the applause of all the racers who were at the awards ceremony, and I wasn't the only one... there were a few others who fell outside the time limit and they recieved the Big Buckle as well... If I remember right nobody over 9:00:59 recived a "Big-Un"
anyone finishing that race has my respect, but good job on the fancy buckle!

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
TrailNut said:
...that It didn't even occur to me that we have a "Endurance Racing" board...
The Endurance board has been here longer than you have.

The only part of Leadville that is harder than the 'Puff is the altitude. There have only been a handful of riders to finish the CCP in under 9 hours. It is ~50% singletrack, has over 15,000 of climbing and has been subject to extreme heat in recent years. It has had high finishing rates though that is related to the limited field size (<120) and the high level of riders' preparation.

Training for either? Lots of road miles and lots of climbing - on and off road.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
You could also look at the E100 Endurance series run in Park City, UTAH. I also would like to take on a challenge and am trying to make up my mind on which would be the best for someone's first time at such a thing and who also has no altitude to train at.

I'm thinking the E100 since they claim to have 100 miles of single track which sounds pretty enticing and they don't go to as high an altitude as the others it would seem. Also they are introuducing a new 1 week long event with a race each day. They say it's a 100, but I think it's a 100 total (or I would hope so) will wait to get more info on that as it runs a bit later in Sept when it should be a bit cooler still.

Just also wanted to say congrats to Macphisto on finishing, let along in 9 hours. How much trainig time and miles did you put in leading up to it and at what altitude do you live/train?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks LyNx...

Well I live and train in Grand Junction CO. and I used Carmichael Training Systems (their base package at the time) and was training at least 4 hours a day, mostly road, doing bunches of intervals with a looonnnngg road day every week (100-115 mi.) I trained alone and scouted the course on two seperate occasions with my wife. It was also helpful that I was born in Leadville and spend some time up there every summer climbing 14teeners and camping so I was familiar with most of the course...If I ever do the race again I will focus on climbing more than I did. I'm a fairly large guy (6'2" -185lbs on race day, 200 + before training and now.) and while a long climb on a 30 mile ride in say Crested Butte is something I really love, the steep climbs on the Leadville race were not my freinds even though I rocked on the rolling stuff and the flats. All the road miles were tough because I love Mountain Biking and there were days when I was training and I was riding past trailheads and it was torture to see those dirt paths...
But I wouldn't trade any of what I went through for anything else. I suffered like a crippled mule carrying a fat man into the Grand Canyon, but when I look at that buckle and pull into Leadville in the summer with my wife I know it was all more than worth it... If anyone out there is thinking of doing the Leadville or any 100 or 100+ mile race I say DO IT!!! You will find out things about yourself that you may have never discovered otherwise. Plus, it is an excuse to ride a mountain bike a very long way!!!

·
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
100 miles of single track

LyNx said:
You could also look at the E100 Endurance series run in Park City, UTAH....

I'm thinking the E100 since they claim to have 100 miles of single track which sounds pretty enticing and they don't go to as high an altitude as the others it would seem.
sweet: "...100 miles of single track..."
gotta look into that.

we rode on wilderness trails around Atlanta, Utah...was AWESOME! and than sat in numerous mountain hot springs. and then dove into the cool river pools. and then ate fresh trout from the same river. there them parts of Utah's a piece of Heaven.

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
100's

I've done Leadville twice and a few other 100 milers. They're definitely worth it. Put in some loooong days in the months heading into the event...it'll pay off. When I say long I mean 60-70 mile days with 10,000 feet of gain. If you can go into the race(any of the 100 milers) with that type of experience under your belt you'll do fine.

FWIW, I don't really follow any sort of periodized training plan and I finished Leadville in 9:10. I'll be back next year to shave off 11 minutes or soo. I think I probably would have made it this year were it not for the rain and the slower than usual neutral start.

B

·
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
12s

donkey said:
I've done Leadville twice and a few other 100 milers. They're definitely worth it. Put in some loooong days in the months heading into the event...it'll pay off. When I say long I mean 60-70 mile days with 10,000 feet of gain. If you can go into the race(any of the 100 milers) with that type of experience under your belt you'll do fine.

FWIW, I don't really follow any sort of periodized training plan and I finished Leadville in 9:10. I'll be back next year to shave off 11 minutes or soo. I think I probably would have made it this year were it not for the rain and the slower than usual neutral start.

B
thought of having to pedal on my ass for upto 12 hours hurts just to think about it, so I'm going train to be radically faster than i've erver been for longer duration than I've ever dreamt about (but will be happy as peach to earn the Silver Buckle).

looks like i'm going to cut down on my golf time even more...
sustaining 11.2 mph on a mountain with over 10K of high alitiitude climbing sounds just dreadful...outside my envelope.

right now, i can barley manage 9 mph average as is for only 3 to 4 hours on hills (even slower on a mountain), so i'm going to have to start shedding #s on my gut and on my bike (it's perfect now for Downieville XC). i've bonked on the 5th hour before, so that'll be entertaining...

I'll start by going hard for 4 to 5 hours...
and maybe do some road centuries on my mtb...

the good news is we're plaining on 2008... but The Lance being there...is tempting to do it next year, 2007...

·
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
lottery

dewthedru said:
how/where do you sign up for the '07 race?
i've heard it'll cost some dough (that's NP) and may have to "win" a lottery of sorts...not everyone gets into race

1 - 20 of 28 Posts