Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LBS told me today that spokes are getting harder to get. To relace a wheel they charge 25 bucks per wheel which is normal but 4 dollars a spoke. Evidently they think this is the new lumber inflation.

·
Administrator
11,033 Posts
Order your spokes.
Build your wheel:

bring it to the shop and pay them to tension if you feel uncomfortable.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Order your spokes.
Build your wheel:

bring it to the shop and pay them to tension if you feel uncomfortable.
I might....disking it for disc brakes is what I am not good at.

·
Registered
959 Posts
LBS told me today that spokes are getting harder to get. To relace a wheel they charge 25 bucks per wheel which is normal but 4 dollars a spoke. Evidently they think this is the new lumber inflation.
Depends on the spokes. I9 spokes and some Sapim spokes are pricy. Regular spokes not so much. What spokes are you looking for?

·
Pro Crastinator
11,571 Posts
i often quickly put the wheel together myself and then take it to a shop for fine tuning when i go half-ass and get it them way out of round. avoids a build fee, just a truing fee..

·
Administrator
11,033 Posts
I might....disking it for disc brakes is what I am not good at.
The old zip ties on the chainstays/seatstays before disassembling the existing wheel can work for establishing dish as well and you can then use your frame for building the wheel.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I buy spoke blanks because I have a spoke making machine, I still only charge $1 a piece- and I doubt that spokes are THAT hard to come by. However I charge $50 to lace up a wheel because it takes so much time and it's hard to help customers or answer the phone while doing it... so $25 sounds like a great deal.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
$25 to lace and true? $4 is really high for a standard double butted spoke but $25 to build a wheel is ridiculously cheap.
I buy spoke blanks because I have a spoke making machine, I still only charge $1 a piece- and I doubt that spokes are THAT hard to come by. However I charge $50 to lace up a wheel because it takes so much time and it's hard to help customers or answer the phone while doing it... so $25 sounds like a great deal.
Agree, $25 is a bonkers price by enthusiast areas (so, bigger cities/riding areas) $50-75 is more normal.

$1-2 for a single straight-gauge spoke is a reasonable cost, imo, to defray the cost that the shop then has to bear to hold onto 1/2-3/4 of a box of 50 spokes. You pay less per spoke from a box, but even a hardcore enthusiast would be hard-pressed to find the value in buying 2 different boxes of spokes (assuming you need 2 lengths) @$55 each. Butted/bladed/straight-pull, etc, all increase price proportionally to what a fraction of the box would cost, plus extra for 'overhead'.

Spoke threading, well, the production machines aren't cheap. I expect the cost per spoke to reflect the time it takes for the person to cut-to-order, or am pleasantly surprised that they don't charge for it (and hopefully, that shop will still exist later on, but probably not).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts