Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
3.14159265358979323846…
Joined
·
2,847 Posts
No-One...

mrpercussive said:
Anyone know where i can get some coils for my Manitou??? Will be needing a 2.75 stroke somewhere between 350lbs and 400lbs???

East bay prefered... but dont mind travelling if i can get the right coil...
It'd be a hell of a lot quicker to just pick a shop and order them.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,153 Posts
mrpercussive said:
yeah, i'd figured that but i'm not too sure what coil pressure i need and want to try for %30 sag. Also, i cant wait for the shipping... Bike's arriving Thursday and i need to ride. :)
Call around.

Most LBS don't stock springs... some do. Places like Cambria will have some. Risse will have lots.

manitou springs are the same as everybody else's - inasmuch as if the specs match - then you can use whatever spring you find.

Specs you need to know.

Shock stroke (spring compression length)

Spring Internal Diameter

Spring weight (resistance to compression in pounds)

What do you currently have? I may have something to help you... Please provide the above specifics.

(edit) you'll need the above info for ordering as well... so make sure you get the above. Be prepared to buy a total of 3 springs. First time you'll be off. Second time you'll be off - but in the other direction (too soft or too hard). 3rd time will be just right!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
945 Posts
spring diameters from small to large:

-Fox vanilla RC
-Fox DHX series
-Progressive/5th element
-Romic

I don't remember the exact spring dimensions but are about 0.15-0.20" difference from each mfg.

-Sp

imridingmybike said:
Call around.

Most LBS don't stock springs... some do. Places like Cambria will have some. Risse will have lots.

manitou springs are the same as everybody else's - inasmuch as if the specs match - then you can use whatever spring you find.

Specs you need to know.

Shock stroke (spring compression length)

Spring Internal Diameter

Spring weight (resistance to compression in pounds)

What do you currently have? I may have something to help you... Please provide the above specifics.

(edit) you'll need the above info for ordering as well... so make sure you get the above. Be prepared to buy a total of 3 springs. First time you'll be off. Second time you'll be off - but in the other direction (too soft or too hard). 3rd time will be just right!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,153 Posts
mrpercussive said:
i've got this one
http://www.answerproducts.com/items.asp?deptid=12&itemid=132

I need a 350X2.75

Not too sure what the spring diameter is though...
You need to check the internal diameter (ID) - otherwise the spring could either rub the shock body or not fit the spring retainer caps... or worse.

Are you looking for stiffer or softer than your current 350 lb spring?

(edit) does yours have adjustable platform and compression damping? Have you played with those? Can make a huge difference...
 

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
Joined
·
11,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imridingmybike said:
You need to check the internal diameter (ID) - otherwise the spring could either rub the shock body or not fit the spring retainer caps... or worse.

Are you looking for stiffer or softer than your current 350 lb spring?

(edit) does yours have adjustable platform and compression damping? Have you played with those? Can make a huge difference...
the bike is being shipped via FedEX right now and should arrive Thursday. I need to get the spring on Friday so that i can test it out on Saturday.

The Shock does have adjustable compression dampening and cant play with it yet as the bike aint here yet... 3 more days... dang i'm excited...

And no... i'm looking for a 350lbs or maybe a 400lbs spring. The spring coming is meant for someone who is like 160lbs and i'm only about 120lbs. I called up Ibex and they dont have any lighter springs that big as the bike is their clearence stock. I figured that the stock spring should be fine for freeriding but i really want something plushier for DH.

Am hoping to look for an LBS which stock them so that i can see which spring i really need...

Adrenalinebikes stock the springs though but i'd have to do the trial and error like you stated earlier and i dont exactly have the funds for that... lol
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,153 Posts
mrpercussive said:
the bike is being shipped via FedEX right now and should arrive Thursday. I need to get the spring on Friday so that i can test it out on Saturday.

The Shock does have adjustable compression dampening and cant play with it yet as the bike aint here yet... 3 more days... dang i'm excited...

And no... i'm looking for a 350lbs or maybe a 400lbs spring. The spring coming is meant for someone who is like 160lbs and i'm only about 120lbs. I called up Ibex and they dont have any lighter springs that big as the bike is their clearence stock. I figured that the stock spring should be fine for freeriding but i really want something plushier for DH.

Am hoping to look for an LBS which stock them so that i can see which spring i really need...

Adrenalinebikes stock the springs though but i'd have to do the trial and error like you stated earlier and i dont exactly have the funds for that... lol
I thought 350 lb's sounded light... I run a 600 on my M1 (2.75" stroke by 8.5 eye to eye).

You will need to run the platform as low as allowed by the manufacturer. Run the compression and low as allowed by manufacturer. Run the preload as low as possible (to the point where the spring rattles a little bit - then tighten a turn).

I have 500, 550, 600, 650 lb springs - but nothing light enough for your emaciated arse!

Good luck with the new ride, dude.
 

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
Joined
·
11,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imridingmybike said:
I thought 350 lb's sounded light... I run a 600 on my M1 (2.75" stroke by 8.5 eye to eye).

You will need to run the platform as low as allowed by the manufacturer. Run the compression and low as allowed by manufacturer. Run the preload as low as possible (to the point where the spring rattles a little bit - then tighten a turn).

I have 500, 550, 600, 650 lb springs - but nothing light enough for your emaciated arse!

Good luck with the new ride, dude.
well dude... i'm gonna checkout the new bike out and i just might call you on those springs. and thanx, i'm definitely gonna be rippin on the new ride... :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,785 Posts
& mountain speed..

on the internet and maybe the pedaller in el sobrante..they have so much weird shlt in there it wouldnt suprise me if they had one..

Key thing is to have to part # of the correct spring. What about using someone elses like a marz spring?
 

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
Joined
·
11,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jrm said:
on the internet and maybe the pedaller in el sobrante..they have so much weird shlt in there it wouldnt suprise me if they had one..

Key thing is to have to part # of the correct spring. What about using someone elses like a marz spring?
i live 15 minutes pedalling distance from The Pedaller. People there dont know what they're doing though... havent had a nice experience with them. Almost made a mistake on realligning the dropouts on my fork when all was needed was wheeldishing... but i guess i could look and see if they've got springs i could just install it myself...
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top