Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We should all beware KIMS BIKE SHOP, they sell grey and black market product. My mavics were not serial numbers that were REAL. I was unable to get the Mavic wheel warranty. They have a good selection of frames hanging on the wall but they seem to never have done any work on DH bikes, VPP bikes, the intellect is low, the morals are vacant and I got ripped off. I went back and was asked to leave by the drunk owner, Mr. Kim. There are good bike shops in NJ, but as a fellow XC racer and someone who owns 5 bikes, I vow to avoid this shop at all costs. Halters cycles was great, as was Bike N Gear and Planet bike, but KIMS is just as good as a flea market so beware they are cheats and theifs. I found out the hard way! Thays how she can afford to sell stuff cheap, its not real...

·
Registered
388 Posts
I disagree

Hey man,
Sorry for your bad experience. Give them a call and talk to Mrs Kim, she is the HNIC there. I have been shopping there for 6 years before I recently moved to FL. I bought several bikes there, from XC to DH, and Robbie built them all up for me. I broke 2 jokers, and they handled the warranty on both of them for me, and they both took about 8 days for me to get back, thanks to Mrs Kim pestering Ellsworth and paying for express shipping. My current DeeMaxs are from Mrs Kim, and they have never been an issue.
They do buy bikes that are closeouts and sell them dirt cheap, the same with a lot of parts, but I have never seen a "counterfeit" part in the store. I have had bad bike experiences at all the shops you have mentioned, as well as good experiences, but I am a loyal Kims customer. I am sorry that your bad wheel experience, but I am sure it was some mix up at mavic, if that is who told you the numbers were not real. I suggest you call them up, and ask for Mrs Kim, and NICELY tell her your dilemna. If Mrs Kim is not there, DO NOT TALK TO ANYONE ELSE!! Mr Kim has actually thrown me out of the store a couple times, and that was just for messing around with one of the mechanics. As far as the techs go, she had Jon and Robbie and a couple of other guys before, but Jon and Robbie were the only ones I would let touch my bike. The other guys she has around because the change about a zillion tubes a day and other tiny jobs.
Again, I am a long term customer, and it pains me to hear them bashed like this, Mrs Kim is a really nice person to deal with.
erik

·
Banned
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I had MANY sour experiences. Au Contraire, Mrs. Kim is a sweetheart NO DOUBT, and Robi is a great bike mechanic, but the fact is she cowers in fear to Mr KIM who for lack of better phrases, has a SEVERE alcohol problem, I mean, its not my business, but you cant yell at me in front of my friend while drinking a beer to "GET OUTTA MY STORE". I have shopped there for years myself and am apalled at how little they appreciate loyalty. I agree, mrs kim is a nice woman so is her son, but she is powerless when her husband says "give it back to customer broken" thats what she does.She cant stand up to him, even if it means losing a customer- he's the problem, untill his liver explodes, i wont shop there. That may sound mean, but i have suffered this alcoholics wrath and my riding buddies have witnessed it and said "dont you shop here man"

Not anymore
Caveat Emptor

I have been a client of theirs for 4 years, but found out the hard way it pays to make sure they are an AUTHORIZED dealer. Also, her policy of selling below retail included NOT selling me Mavics wheel warranty- seems like they have some plan to use the warranty themselves.

Theres no real resosn she blows every Intense and Litspeed frame below any other dealer-she uses only the cheapewst parts and I have overheard Mr Kims philosphy on customer service and its worse than a chinese fish market.do stock some good stuff, but they do not use torque wrenches.
They do not have any return policy
they do noty honor warranties, unless you get Mrs kim by herself. I may sound hateful, but I feel betrayed as a customer, and as a biker who races, rides and has spent too much money at an establishment run by an a**hole, Mr Kim.

Mrs kim is a cowering fawn in front of her husband, he's probably as vulgar, mean and rude to her as he is when he shamelessly yells at someone who is - was his patron.

I am taking it upon myself to call the manufacturers whom she so poorly represents, and see what can be done to prevent others from walking down my road, and wearing these shoes. I wouldnt even buy a tube there...

·
Banned
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
btw...have YOU ever spoken to HIM???? if not, just call them up or stop in and try to tell him what you need. if you're not there to buy a bike, or buy something, he will show you the door, not let you talk to the mechanics, and no, I dont care how nice the wife is, he needs to go get some rehab, ASAP.thats all...I'd be a loyal customer if not for him, but I cant take chances with my hard earned $$$.

To him $2000 for my wifes Spider XVP frame was fine, but the second it needed work he said QUOTE
"You F*ck up frame and bring to me, you go to other dealer"

Now thats no way to talk to me or anyone who shops there. 1st the wheels, then the frame. no I disagree, you need to be more honest with yourself than to tell me to only try to deal with Jennifer kim when the arrogant drunkard isnt there...what I am now paying for me having to run back to see if he's there or homne drunk? and if he's drunk at home THEN i get good service otherwise I am at Bike n gear with something i bought at her shop? nonsense. I also shop at other shops in the area, try High Gear, you'll see what customer service is all about. try Planet bike, english isnt a problem there niether is the owners moral fabric. I'm an immigrant myself, but wouldnt pay money to deal with that jerk.

You can shop there if you want to, and yeah i hope you get to only deal with her. he'll let her sell it to you, but he steps out from his back room with his beer and opens that filthy mouth of his missing all those teeth and god help that store, its been going downhill. No pun intended.

NOT THAT LIKE I PUSH OTHER SHOPS, SHOP ANYWHERE U WANT JUST NOT THERE, OR TAKE UR CHANCES AND END UP LIKE I DID.

HE CAN KEEP HIS NO NAME BEER, 2 BIT SHOP AND WHEN HE CASHES IN ON ALL THOSE MAVIC WARRANTIES AND RESELLS THOSE RIMS BELOW RETAIL WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY BETTER HOPE THEY ARENT ON YOUR BIKE... peace

·
Registered
117 Posts
business philosophy

I find this thread pretty interesting. This is the kind of shop that makes being a LBS tough.
The philosophy at Kims seems to be to buy at the lowest and sell at the lowest pricing. As a business model this can work in a commodity style business. However, when you sell at the lowest price it is difficult to have any level of service that is acceptable to most people.
for consumers, low pricing is very attractive at the front end but if any post sale service is needed they quickly find out the pitfalls.
As the manager of a bicycle business I struggle everyday with trying to have competitive pricing while maintaining a level of service that makes people want to come back regularly.
Unfortunately it is hard trying to get people to understand that many times the lowest price is not the best value!

My advice? If you know exactly what you want and do not need any help with installation or operation of a product, find the lowest price and run like you stole it. If you don't, find a shop that has people you trust to help you on the front end and will take care of you post sale if anything goes wrong. It is also a good idea to not break balls too much on the price. A little expert help is worth a little bit extra money and the people at the shop will be much happier to see you and help you when you need it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Dude,
I have gotten Mr Kim to wrench stuff for me, he actually did a decent job. He does drink at work, and he does have the habit of throwing people out on occasion. Personally, I know a lot of drunks, and they all have downsides, thats why they say "don't turn out to be a drunk". However, Mrs Kim runs the place, she tells Mr Kim to go home regularly. I have a ton of friends who also shop there, and they all have a funny Mr Kim story, the guy is a character!! At least this time of year he spends most of his time on the golf course.
I spent a good amount of time in retail when I was younger, and believe me, I hated every one of the little pukes that bought sneaks, wore them for a month, then brought them back because of whatever reason and expect the brandy new Jordans. I am NOT saying you were doing anything like that, so dont think that, but you do get an attitude about returns I think.
Well I am sorry that you had a bad experience there, and I encourage you to shop anyplace you want. My 2 cents is just worth that. For anyone else that just wants to throw some nice parts on their bike for mail order prices but with immediate bike candy in your hand, stop on in.
erik

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.